Wild Venison Chorizo (a review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On wild venison, free range and foraging

I have had the great pleasure recently of enjoying some chats with the lovely Rachel Hammond of Hammond Charcuterie. She mentioned in one of those chats she was experimenting with wild Roe venison and making a wild venison chorizo. I am a huge fan of venison and of chorizo so Rachel was kind enough to post me two when they were done (for the avoidance of doubt, I paid for them and the postage – so this is an unbiased review).

4621650607.jpg

In due course they arrived – beautifully wrapped and labelled.

26709720225_50eecb621a_z.jpg

Now I love venison because its a lean, healthy meat. Its also important to say that I like my animals free ranged – and it doesn't get any more free ranged than wild. Deer numbers are rocketing in the UK, and most estimates say there are more wild deer in the UK than at any time in the last 1,000 years. They are at problem levels in many areas. Since there are no apex predators here that take deer, it makes complete sense that these number be controlled so that they don't overwhelm their food sources. This controlled cull also provides a source of ethical, healthy meat for us.

3438949234_98ee0bf193_z.jpg

Cutting into the chorizo revealed a fine grain and firm almost hard texture. The sausage had survived the rigours of Royal Mail with no damage at all. This would be an ideal meat to take camping or bushcrafting, being cured properly by an expert it will be fine unrefrigerated for days.

26643550391_b84e79c59d_z.jpg

My initial plan had been to try out the meat with my young apprentice as part of my role with him is to get him to try new things, unfortunately the weather kiboshed my plans for some campfire cookery. Undeterred though we used my workshop stove for a fry up whilst drilling logs for mushroom dowels. He has never tried venison before – but you can see his verdict.

26438497740_6bd295340f_z.jpg

To do a “proper” review, I wanted only simple, fresh ingredients and nothing that would overwhelm the flavour of the chorizo, so I got two of this morning's eggs and a handful of the “domesticated” wild garlic that I planted a few years ago.

26643550111_bfc0146391_z.jpg

I roughly chopped the Ramsoms and cracked the eggs.

Oh – the tools were from two friends – big shout out to Ash for the knife which I use all the time and Mark for my favourite small spoon

26643548971_1d5c4cf7e6_z.jpg

I would like you to note the colour of those eggs. Eggs get rich and yellow like that when chickens free range and eat plenty of green leafy material. That's what eggs should look like!

I mixed the beaten eggs with most of the chopped wild garlic and fried a simple omelette

26103733124_10ba4dfa0e_z.jpg

I sliced the venison chorizo thinly and fried it lightly – just a minute each side. Because venison is so lean, I wiped the pan with some rapeseed oil just to keep thing lubricated.

26643549351_0c7bcdbb3d_z.jpg

That was it, I added a splash of our own “liquid sunshine” lemon chilli sauce and added a few more ramsoms and flowers. Please note chef types, there is no “jus” no “reductions” and not a “soupçon” in view. Three ingredients and one simple home made sauce is all thats needed.

26103732844_fd02cac6e1_z.jpg

So then I ate it! My conclusion is that the wild venison chorizo is outstandingly good. It has a very firm texture that I like, but it wants slicing fairly thin. I believe I detect both chilli and paprika in the spices – but neither overwhelm the delicate wild Roe meat.

I am very grateful to Rachel for letting me try this fantastic, ethical, flavoursome chorizo and I heartily recommend that anyone near Eyemouth look Rachel up – she is a superb butcher and charcutier and runs courses too. For those of us further away (like me), drop her an email – the cured meats travel really well and would make an ideal bushy meal

http://www.hammondcharcuterie.co.uk/

Red

Attachments

• 26643550111_bfc0146391_z.jpg
    26643550111_bfc0146391_z.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great review Hugh, thanks for sharing it with us.

It sounds like a delicious product that would be incredibly moorish and hard to resist nibbling on :rolleyes:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In the words of my Nephew, "kwar that looks fit" Mouth wateringly so.

Couple of weeks back we had chicken kebabs with chorizio. To cold for stick kebabs so chorizio in a pan with chopped ramson bulbs, then in with the chicken pieces and grilled peppers and baby toms. Served in a wholemeal pitta warmed on a hot rock. Dressing was chopped ramson leave and flowers mixed into nat yogurt. Was lovely.

Will certainly be looking up your chorizio supplier.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Thanks for a) enlightening me to the fact that this exists and b) giving me the name of the maker / supplier, an order WILL be done asap. Thanks for a great write up and pictures, can't wait to try it :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its not amajor part of her business, but with things like chorizo drop her an e-mail or give her a ring - she is really accomodating

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE