Wasn't Expecting That!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Arranged an overnighter with my mate for last Thursday. Camping and fishing till Friday tea time. Nothing new there. Been doing these trips for decades. We decided to have a bash at the trout in Loch Ba. Got there about 3pm Thursday and had a look around the water. A bit too much of a windswept swampy bog yet for a decent night's camping so we moved on to Glen Etive. Beautiful little highland river and more importantly, dry-ish ground to pitch-up. Our camp for a single night's fishing is a 60" fishing bivvy, reclining fishing chairs and a frontier stove to keep us warm. Coleman petrol lamp as well.

Pretty much the middle of nowhere. When it gets dark there wasn't another light to see anywhere.

At the back of midnight in the pitch black we were visited by a huge wolf-like dog! It appeared in the lamp-light then disappeared again. My fishing buddy hadn't seen it at all so i wasn't sure if i'd fallen asleep and dreamed it. I had drank a few cans of beer and my mate is teetotal...... But sure enough it returned! I seriously crapped myself! I'm always wary of big dogs I don't know, but when they turn up in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and they look like wolves!!!! I've never been so glad to have my Fallkniven S1 on my belt! It was in my hand for an hour!!
It hung around with us until we were leaving the next afternoon and we took it back with us and handed in at the local police station.From what the police have told me the owner has reclaimed it. A guy from Lincoln.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Lovely dog but scary under the circumstances, appearing out of the darkness like that. That would have scared me, I was bitten when I was a kid and I've always been a bit wary of big dogs since.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Beautiful dog and all's well that ends well...Another 24 hours and rumours of the 'Wolf's return to Scotland' would have been underway if doggie had been seen at a distance by other people..:D The wolves of Glen Etive..sounds even better than Nessie!! ;)

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Wow!!! What a night you must of had ... i could emagin the adrenaline rush you must of had....nice little twist to a quite nights fishing lol

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Beautiful dog, i bet the owner, was so thankful. He probably spent all night wandering around in the dark looking for it. Well done.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I reckon that dog knew that he/she had found a couple of guys to trust and help find the way home, they are a very bright and loyal breed.
Glad this fisherman's tale has a very happy ending (speaking of which...how big was the one that got away?) ;)

Rob.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
That's great,the dog reminds me of the littlelist hobo,a TV program from the 80's I think.Maybe tomorrow I want to settle down,but till tommorw I'll just keep moving on.I would have been tempted to take him home.Glad he got back to his rightful owner.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Good write up mate, glad the owner's got his dog back. Looks like it was hungry, looking up at the pot cooking on the stove.

Looks a cracking place for wild brownies.

Thanks for posting.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
It obviously liked the smell of the chicken chow mein I was cooking! Lovely big dog. I certainly won't forget that night in a hurry!!

On the fishing front, we caught plenty of brown trout. Small, stunning fish! Trotted maggots under a chubber float. You've got to be on the ball the whole time with those trout. They will spit the hook as fast as they take it.You don't have to strike like Zorro, but it pays to be sharp. Great fun though!!

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Loch Ba was my favorite fishin' spot in Scotland, but the neds ruin it by July :AR15firinGreat job on returning the dug, would have been a fright right enough...

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
The doggy looks like a Siberian Husky (or at least a cross). Although they may remind a lot of folks of "wild & dangerous" wolves, they actually are a super friendly breed. Makes for a bad guard dog...an intruder would probably be welcomed with wagging tail and some wet kisses. Lol!

As friendly as they are, they are also happy to explore on their own. He probably just wandered off from his owner and eventually got lost. Thanks for taking care of him!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE