Tea on the trails?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I like tea with milk and sugar and prefer this to coffee or any other hot beverage

a lot of treads on this question seem to avoid the problem by offering convenient alternatives like 3in1 coffee or hot chocolate or herbal teas without milk but non of these are my favourite beverage.

now tea bags and sugar are relatively simple to carry the tricky ingredient seems to be the milk

what do you use?

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
An excellent question. I've a friend who uses powdered milk. For a day I take a small bottle of milk. For longer I'd give uht milk a try

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Instant tea exists. Whether it is any good is another question...

I guess it is a matter of taste and that is going to dictate what you carry.

the options I have seen uses so far are

fresh milk but only good for a day trip
UHT milk probably the next best option
beverage whitener I am not sure if this is different from powered milk
instant white tea it is drinkable but nowhere near as nice as proper tea

the old style British army ration packs used to be great for making tea and they contained a sachet marked as "whitener" that were just the right size for a 58 pattern mug full of tea. the new style ORP (Operational Ration Pack) have small sachets of creamer that are only good for a small cup.

It is a question that on the face of it seems too simple there is no need ask. But if it is so simple why do so many avoid the problem and use 3in1 coffee or hot chocolate when at home tea would be the first choice

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Nido powdered whole milk is stocked by Tesco in the World Food section and any good Asian grocery shop.
It's got that sterilised taste twang but you get used to it and is way better than the more common semi-skimmed powder.
Plus when you empty the tin the 900g ones make for a nice hobo stove :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Learn to drink it without ,milk. You will quickly learn that it is actually much better without milk. Then you can upgrade to sugarless, with a similar imp,rovement. Bags are convenient, particularly on the trail, but the tea in most of them is rubbish. Almost any loose tea is a massive improvement in flavour.

bearbait

Learn to drink it without ,milk. You will quickly learn that it is actually much better without milk. Then you can upgrade to sugarless, with a similar imp,rovement. Bags are convenient, particularly on the trail, but the tea in most of them is rubbish. Almost any loose tea is a massive improvement in flavour.

Having spent some time "on the road" I now do without milk altogether, on the road or at home. Black tea, black coffee, water on my muesli. Incidentally, the oats in the muesli soak up the water much faster than they soak up milk. Also I feel the dried fruits in my brekky also rehydrate slightly with the water.

I still "do" dairy though: yoghurt, cheese.

I feel you get to appreciate the real flavours of your hot beverage more w/o milk.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
[video=youtube;EXzoJin8-p0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzoJin8-p0[/video]

a good cuppa can really lift your spirits

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Not only uncivilised......... it can make you go blind!

Actually I do prefer my tea without milk these days - it took some time, but it is more refreshing. But its each to his own.... I use UHT sachets for my clients when I make them a drink when at work. They seem to be acceptable. You can buy varying quantities from Amazon.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Other than water, we drink tea while out and about. Personally it's black, "billing" the kettle I think you say is a very good pause. Talking with family, friends, watching the fire is good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE