Fish Whacker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I was playing on the pole lathe, with nothing particular in mind, using up some oddments of sycamore, and this object appeared.

Bat, club, fishing priest, truncheon, general purpose whacking implement, call it what you will - I am not a fisherman so I won't be using it to bop any fish on the head, it will be used as a general tool for whacking stuff. This one isn't even finished that well, as I'd used up all my straight grained sycamore on spoons, and only had knotty and awkward grained timber left, which resulted in some tear-out.

However, it got me thinking (dangerous I know) about making some more of these when I get some more timber. So I would like to know what sort of size makes a good tool for despatching fish, and whether it would need drilling out and loading with lead shot to give it the necessary heft.

Thanks for looking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are times when I wish that I had a "small" pastry rolling pin. No handles needed, just a cylinder maybe 12" long x 2" diameter.
How heavy is a smooth-faced finishing hammer? That might be almost more than enough to get any fish's attention.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For best tasting fish, it is best to bleed them. A priest used the correct way kills it and the fishmeat get a fishy taste. IMHO, of course!

But that wooden implement is beautiful for sure!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
You do realise that this type of turnery tomfoolery led to bar skittles! Another method of leading good men astray from the commerce of drinking :beerchug:
Looks like a good attention adjuster for a delinquent teen, short enough to be concealed for added effect!!! ...............off to fetch my coat.

Priest wise, I don't see a problem size or weight wise. It is the sharpness of the blow that works, which means the operator needs to mean it, not be half hearted about it.

Rob.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very nice!

If I had access to a lathe I'd make them lead weighted. Half the block of your wood down the middle, chisel out a good pit on each inner piece for a lump of lead to rest, glue back together and spin to shape. Then brass pin the the two halves for added strength and file flush, stain/paint etc and boom, a proper slugger for any fish! :)

Very nice!

If I had access to a lathe I'd make them lead weighted. Half the block of your wood down the middle, chisel out a good pit on each inner piece for a lump of lead to rest, glue back together and spin to shape. Then brass pin the the two halves for added strength and file flush, stain/paint etc and boom, a proper slugger for any fish! :)

wouldn't it be better/easier to drill a hole down the front end and pour lead in or insert a lead rod/bar?!

goodjob on the woodwork--i dispatched fish and wallabies with less sophisticated items....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
wouldn't it be better/easier to drill a hole down the front end and pour lead in or insert a lead rod/bar?!

goodjob on the woodwork--i dispatched fish and wallabies with less sophisticated items....

Yeah you could.. :p

Obviously better than my idea dammit lol. A large auger bit half way down with a good bore and then pour in molten lead and plug up the top with the same wood and epoxy.. I'm going from experience of leaded baton making with laminated wood. But.. your idea is easier. BUT!!! you need a lathe. ;) and this chap does.. :rolleyes: I'll stop now.

Ok, I won't just yet! Muddypaws, if you make another I'd be interested! Maybe 12" long in total, 3" thick on the top end and not finished, as I can do that myself, just need the basic shape. Then I'll lead fill it with forrewst dwellers better idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE