Knitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
so ok we all are into some crafts, bit leatherwork, some carving, plat identification, wildlife and landscape study, harvesting plants nuts and cooking...

since I really like wool and woolen beanies, sweaters etc I thought yeah lets buy some knitting needles and some wool at the second hand shop (even found a new old stock woolen jumper from the 80ies hooray) and with YouTube trie to give it a go

jeepers!!! man that is not easy. First knots ok but the second phase, boys I dont know if this is for me!

any succesfull knitters around?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried knitting when I was doing a Fashion Diploma as a Mature Student - I failed ... badly!
I could machine knit with the best of them though! :)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I tried to knit woolen mitts, wich turned out...serviceable. I never make it past the heel, when trying to knit socks.

Good luck, m8!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's hardly rocket science :D

Good on you for giving it a go however :cool:
Men make very good knitters if they persevere. The tension is beautifully crisp in their work.
It's a very 'geometric' kind of skill, and it seems to suit them fine. Sailors, lighthousekeepers and the like used to make their own guernseys, socks and mitts. You can do other practical things too though while you're learning. Beanies, wristwarmers, fingerless mitts and the like.

If you do want to give socks a go, then Sally in Wales has a really clear tutorial on Downsizer.net. I'll find a link, but the socks are both comfortable and straightforward to knit…..and she illustrates really well too :D

M

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
John ahh soothing that our bushcraft clothes guru also struggled haha

Sgl70: Good job then! How were your first steps? Self taught or a nice aunt? Perseverence or natural talent ��

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hey Toddy thanks mate!
Yeah those fishermans sweaters are the real deal. I always thought the wives made them.

Palaeocory

Forager
I find knitting a real challenge, so I'm a crocheter - I find it goes much faster, and it's easier to correct mistakes. Plus knitting gives me headaches and for some reason crocheting doesn't (not having to concentrate so hard?). If you get frustrated with knitting give crocheting a go! :)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks Palawocory! I might do that when I get too frustrated ��
I bought a crocheting beanie 12 years ago from a Norwegian scottish girl on the Isle of Rum. She was really good and the beanie is still around. ��

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My touble is that I have no Lefthand/Righthand coordination!
I cannot type two handed nor play any musical instrument - both extreme frustrations .. almost as bad as not being able to knit!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only textile craft I really, really don't like doing is tatting.

Spinning, weaving, sewing, knitting, feltmaking, sprang, lacemaking, naalbindig, fingerweaving, card weaving, crocheting, splitply braiding….they're all just manipulating fibres. Basketry too. I have made a basket out of linen thread, just to prove I could :)

Knitted textiles have both a flexibility and a fit that is hard to achieve with almost any other of the textile crafts without the addition of buttons, etc., Naalbinding works well, but it's not quite as 'fluid', iimmc.
It's worth while persevering with the knitting. Even if all you make is a scarf, it's a good thing :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My touble is that I have no Lefthand/Righthand coordination!
I cannot type two handed nor play any musical instrument - both extreme frustrations .. almost as bad as not being able to knit!

Did you ever try knarlbinding? (Toddy can no doubt point my spelling in the right direction there)
It Nordic knitting with only one needle. More of a sewing with wool really, great for socks, hats and the likes.
I learned to knit as a kid but haven't done it since, and I had a wee demo of knarlbinding and keep meaning to give it a proper go, though I think I'll have to make myself a bone needle first.
As to manliness, well if Vikings did it who'll argue as to manliness?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I can teach people to knit or naalbinding at the moot if any one fancies it..I'll bring some dowel and bone for the making of needles. Or you could make socks on a sock loom, that's so easy it's embarrassing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lizz,
Cheers for spelling naalbinding correctly, don't know where my head was yesterday. :eek:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can teach people to knit or naalbinding at the moot if any one fancies it..I'll bring some dowel and bone for the making of needles. Or you could make socks on a sock loom, that's so easy it's embarrassing.

That sounds very interesting....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE