Wettest place in Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - it is official!
Eglwyswrw - a village 5 mins from my house - is the wettest place in Britain ...77 days (and counting) of consecutive rain - as it is above 423' in elevation it has had no floods though...
North Pembrokeshire has had 306.2mm of rain in December - 207% of the average Dec rainfall...
I rather think that my village is not far of Eglwyswrw's record - everything here is sodden and rotting. The reason that the wind has caused so much havoc in my small woods is that the ground is sodden and the shallow rooted pines are just pulling their roots out of the ground.
My small woods are on the top of a small ridge and normally drain well!
The last time we had tree fall like this was in "The Great Storm" in 1987....

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
and to think Noah felt he needed an Ark after just 40 days and 40 nights

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When Iw as standing out getting the kid son the bus this morning I was thinking about how much rain we've had these last couple of months, it's a lot! we had a morning of clear weather yesterday but it's rare at the moment, I agree about the rot John, some things are starting to fall apart they've been wet so long.

It will be over soon and we'll have a glorious Summer with a few beach days, everything will dry out and we'll take advantage to get everything in good order before next winter :D

rancid badger

We're getting nowhere near as much rain as you lot over there but even so, there are indeed a lot of conifers toppling over down in Chopwell wood a mile down the road and its a muddy mess wherever you walk on or off the paths and tracks.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its like this around here. thats a few hundred feet from the river which has overflowed its banks by about a kilometre. Running left to right is the main road. Thats all roads under there. You geniuely need your canoe. Its crazy.

_87386765_baildon_bbc.jpg

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Its like this around here. thats a few hundred feet from the river which has overflowed its banks. Running left to right is the main road. Thats all roads under there. You geniuely need your canoe.

_87386765_baildon_bbc.jpg

It's like the reverse of what old people used to say to younguns

"I remember when all this was roads and streets"

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Not much better here in Carmarthen and the webbing growing between my fingers is getting tad freaky :(

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I know 71 days of rain is a record, but the county total of 300mm of rain in 31 days shows you how much rain fell in 24 hours in the lake district which was about 350mm. Names are not allowed in scrabble.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Doesn't sound good, maybe Dr. Foster should head there instead of Gloster?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You got that right - just like Norfolk folk have 6 fingers....
the on line censor does not let me post about the abnormalities of Ponty folk .... but Max had it right about "Up and Under...."
on re reading that it sounds even worse than intended - you had all best listen to the song!

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
man thats crazy, thanks for sharing
good luck overthere! also for nature

I guess we got it commin'.....(refering to the doc Inconvienent truth)

xylaria

Three months of rain. December January two years ago it rained for 7weeks and most of the rivers burst their banks. This year natural resources wales dredged the tiefi, tawe, towy and the taff and dug up the roads to improve the storm drains. So believe it,or not wales has barely had a problem. Well funded river management is worth it, it saves ten times what it costs. There will always be some floods, and some rivers like the Dee are difficult, as the can carry huge volumes.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE