No one talks about wet proofs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All
When it comes to kit clothes etc I read lots on warm clothing like bush shirts made from wool etc, but I dont come across much on wet proofs, so can you post whats your go to wet proof gear please to give me an idea of whats good.
Thanks
Bill

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a pair of the issue MTP trousers for when I know it's going to be really wet. For other times I have a pair of stash trousers that take hardly any room up. These I take as wind stoppers as well as waterproofs in summer when I'm out in shorts.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
If i am just hiking or doing regular daily outdoor stuff i use my Berghaus jacket 10'000 mm hh and a pair of Tenns 10'000mm hh cycling overtrousers with boot zip so they are easy on and off if needed, if i am doing anything ourdoors where i will have a fire i use a cheapo Dickies 15'000 mm hh jacket and trousers as i don't want to smoke out or get burn holes from flying embers in my Berghaus and when i am cycling i use Altura Night Vision Evo jacket and trousers so i am dry and visible, all of these are shell layers that go over the top of various wool layers depending how cold it is or the activity i am doing

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a pair of matching Sprayway jacket and trousers for a lightweight set of waterproofs, plus the new mtp kit on issue to me. For walking in the wet however you cant go wrong with a good paramo jacket.

Tonyuk

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I utilise Fortis Falkland Trousers... in situations when I require it, or if I've decided to take 'em along on a trip; they're not over trousers see, not really. When out for a few days, If in the middle of a Yomp some where and it starts coming down consistently I just deal with the Leg getting wet. I carry a dry set for around camp either some wool leggings, or a pair of M65, or I take the Falkland trousers as a dry set to use. In the Morn, and it looks like it's going to be a Wet day, and I got my Falkland trousers with me, I'll put these straight on and wear them all day 'till next camp.

For upper in wet conditions I use Fortis Cordura Field Smock. Currently. ( need to look for a light weight Anorak to keep as an option, though )

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
For walking and doing my DoE stuff etc. I have a Mammut Goretex jacket and a pair of Paclite overtrousers - brilliant kit BUT would not dream of being remotely "bushy" in them as they are too expensive to risk thorns and sparks. For bushy stuff I use cheaper, more expendable waterproofs and would possibly go for Ventile for some of that nice Fjallraven stufff I could afford it.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Ridgeline Monsoon Elite Smock. Pair of Deerhunter Deertex trousers.

The pinnacle of this sort of style is Swazi Tahr. Take a look at the Woodlore site ( after putting your wallet in a safe and flushing the key to the safe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
Normally in mountain under 2500m in summer: Light anorak like "raincut by decathlon" in my rucksak. If you have a lot of wind or real rain I put it over stuff like polycoton shirt or tshirt.
High mountains in winter : pertex windbreaker and with heavy rain a light jacket "goretex active" (normally in my rucksak). A cheap and light "raincut" pant for heavy weather.
Lappland in winter (quite flat) : Paramo or Ventile with a half cut "raincut anorak" (normally no rain).
Lappland in summer (quite flat) : polycoton jacket (mosquitoes) and an anorak like precip marmot (heavy rain).
Hunting with rain : barbour or something like that.

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Craghopper pac-a-mac shell with a cheap pair of waterproof over trousers has worked well for most of my Welsh winter trips, but am seriously considering going over to the floppy side and getting a poncho.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am the sort of Girl who hits the trail dressed head to ankle in Páramo...

I use either the Bentu Windproof/fleece combo, or the Quito jacket. Then I have a pair of Cascada 1 trousers. Keeps me nice and dry. Not good near the fire tho...

J

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Paramo jacket, cheap waterproof overtrousers in the pocket. These used when very wet or when walking through high,wet vegetation and as windproofs if very cold. Also double as spare trousers in case of mishap.

If not worn, then in rucksack to give confidence and security. (I've been caught out in the Pyrennees in high summer +30C in the day, -8C at night)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Being ultra hot and sweaty I gave up on breathables like goretex for strenuous stuff in the late 80s, since then for serious wet it's been Buffalo or snugpac PP shirts and for my legs thin wicking long johns with a pair of Mardale or similar pertex trousers on top. To be honest if I can keep my head ( Lowe Alpine mt cap or now the sealskinz equivalent ) my feet ( old school leather boots, breathable waterproof socks, yeti gaiters of some sort) and my hands ( army glove liners and some sort of pile lined goretex mitts ) I'm not fussed about getting the rest of me slightly damp, I dry out really fast.

For bimbling about I've a long Bergaus goretex jacket , the model I forget but it's one of the few they make in XXXL and a acceptable green or if round a fire ( which I'd only be in the lightest of rain ) a ex NZ army Swanni ( but not made by them, some other contractors) or a Bushshirt.

For summer showers. A old Snowsled pull over shirt / smock but with something in the bag for if it gets serious.

atb

tom

Last edited:

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Buffalo! I work outside in highland forests in all weather, When it's that bad you can't fight it and there's nothing like a shirt that will keep you feeling warm and dry no matter how bad the rain/sleet/snow that you can chuck in the washing machine with all the rest of your stuff without worrying about fancy waterproof coverings and such. Waterproof gaiters are a must in the woods though as all the undergrowth will have your lower legs, socks and feet soaked in no time. The only bit of kit that claims to be 100% waterproof that I'm convinced about is a plastic safety helmet!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I really like my DD poncho. I've tested it in very long, very heavy downpours and it has kept me very dry.

As i've recently learned though, ponchos aren't good for every activity and I'll be interested in seeing what comes up here. The swazi tahr looks great and I have friends who use them for proffesional deer stalking who highly rate them, they are a little out of my budget though.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi All
When it comes to kit clothes etc I read lots on warm clothing like bush shirts made from wool etc, but I dont come across much on wet proofs, so can you post whats your go to wet proof gear please to give me an idea of whats good.
Thanks
Bill

Breathable (and expensive I'm afraid) jacket with issue poncho. Absolutely utterly dependable waterproof combination.

If it's going to be really wet for a long time (more than just a few hours) I'll use breathable waterproof trousers too, but I rarely need to bother.

The best waterproof boots I've ever had have been the issue goretex-lined ones, but it's fairly easy to waterproof good boots with e.g. petroleum jelly.
My feet tend to sweat a lot (like the rest of me) so for serious wet work I carry spare socks, and rotate them to dry them out - e.g. under my waterproofs using my body heat.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Waterproof gaiters are a must in the woods though as all the undergrowth will have your lower legs, socks and feet soaked in no time. ...

Amen to that.

I've had a pair of Goretex lined gaiters for bloomin' ages, and they finally wore through where they occasionally rub on each other as I walk.
I really didn't want to shell out for antoher pair, so I made patches from some scrap denim and glued them over the holes, on the inside of the gaiters, with Copydex. Good as new. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE