Chicken Brick, UPDATE.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Chicken brick, interesting name and one I must admit not hearing before. My wife was wandering round the Weston Mills site looking for some new pots/bowls for the kitchen when she found this and ordered one to have a go

chicken_brick_400.jpg
chicken_brick_closed2_400.jpg

Seems to get good reviews and if the gumf is anything to go by a tastier healthier way to cook chicken. Anyone used one? how did it fare? was the chicken any better in this than a roasting pan?

Thanks everyone,
Malc.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're a great way to cook a chook. Keeps it really nice & moist. Keeps all the flavour in too. British Red had a picture up over in his Pioneer the chicken thread the other day. Showed just how good a chook can look.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks guys. The chook you cooked looks really tasty BR. I just hope I bought one big enough as my wife loves chicken. :) The instruction say to soak for 10-15 minutes I was wondering if this was long enough.

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I am the proud owner of one that my German pen friend brought over as a gift to my Mum in the seventies, when she died I got it. Great for chicken, excellent for pheasant, grouse etc as they can dry out when roast but cooked in this with some aromatics and a splash of wine are excellent.
There is a recipe book that came with it, in Germany they are called Romwetifp or Roman pot in translation, bet there will be recipes on tinterweb if you have a look.
its so easy to use, just soak before as saaid above. Bought a pheasant only today with it in mind !

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Saw them in Lakeland years ago, but we have Rotisserie that is brilliant for cooking any meat/poultry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Awesome piece of kit, mine is from the 70's and I fell heir to it.

Not used it in a while, will remedy that tomorrow!

Thanks for this thread :-D

Liam

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks for the comments everyone I did as bigbear suggested and did a web search for recipes. I found enough to keep me experimenting till Christmas :). According to Yodel it's supposed to be hear tomorrow (Thursday). I think we'll have roast chicken this Sunday.:D

Cheers everyone,
Malc.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the comments everyone I did as bigbear suggested and did a web search for recipes. I found enough to keep me experimenting till Christmas :). According to Yodel it's supposed to be hear tomorrow (Thursday). I think we'll have roast chicken this Sunday.:D

Cheers everyone,
Malc.

Remember the BUCK credo; pictures or it didn't happen. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First I'd ever heard of them too (the thread BR posted that is) At first glance I thought it was just an oven to be placed in the oven. Then I read the bit about soaking it and it made much more sense. Cool idea!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
that looks a grear addition to a kitchen. Alas....we dont have an oven....but our chickens come out tender and juicy with the swing method....cheap too with a couple handfuls of charcoal....
0e0c24c0b3d65dc2fd9d8c35a7e23cfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Not sure about chickens, but whenever I have camped at the same site as Chiseller there always seems to be a squealing pig .............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE