Do you 'cook' porridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I like the texture & chewyness too, I didn't know this but Mary says rolled oats are de husked & steamed so technically it's not raw... I don't think we are odd I think maybe we just have more refined pallets...

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Oh yes, skirlie, mmmm,mmm,mmmm.
For traditional foods Dorothy Hartley's Food in England is a good starting point.
I always thought it was a spirtle, but am clearly wrong.
Hey ho.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh yes, skirlie, mmmm,mmm,mmmm.
For traditional foods Dorothy Hartley's Food in England is a good starting point.
I always thought it was a spirtle, but am clearly wrong.
Hey ho.

Depends if you're from Edinburgh or Miss Jean Brodie. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:D Glottal stop seems to be common in a few places in Scotland. Dundee is bad for it too.
Another common one is the habit of saying "torlet" instead of "toilet".
I can't speak though as a work mate used to wind me up for the way I pronounce cemetery, it seemingly comes out as symmetry.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yep, or nope, rolled oats, powdered milk with very cold water and a few table spoons of asda's coco powder. It's like a healthy coco pops breakfast and cheap too. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I suspect I'm in the "doing it wrong" camp : I take a bowl, whack in enough (rolled) oats and a honking great teaspoon of honey (or two of sugar if I only have that) and then pour "enough" water from the freshly boiled kettle into the bowl. I also make tea and walk away from it (shower, chickens, making sure the sky hasn't fallen, it depends on the day). When I come back I have tea (sometimes overbrewed) and porridge!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
There's no "doing it wrong" with porridge - there's traditional, which varies by country & county, and there's what YOU like!
When I'm outdoors, I never cook it fully - I just do as you do, or take it cold, adding anything I like - especially wild blaeberries! And call it muesli.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
There's no "doing it wrong", as long as you get where you meant to go (easier and harder still apply, there may be better way :rolleyes:)

But! there's a "doing it wrong" camp! It's the one everyone goes by and says "tsk, you should be doing it like this not that!" the native of this camp will ignore all such comments and grin when their method works, especially if it's faster/easier than the proper way (which is different for every outsider that comes by!):D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE