Dogs Diet, Raw Meat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I feed my cat raw woodie, rabbit, pheasant and whatever else I shoot. Absolutely loves it. Whenever I'm skinning she's practically climbing my legs to get a bit and kept her in great nick. Can't see why dogs are so different

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I feed my cat raw woodie, rabbit, pheasant and whatever else I shoot. Absolutely loves it. Whenever I'm skinning she's practically climbing my legs to get a bit and kept her in great nick. Can't see why dogs are so different

Funny, neither of my dogs would eat woodie meat, raw or cooked. I know a lot of shooters who's dogs don't even like picking them up.
My last dog loved fish but didn't like prawns. Would eat 'round any in any "human" food he was given.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Funny, neither of my dogs would eat woodie meat, raw or cooked. I know a lot of shooters who's dogs don't even like picking them up.
My last dog loved fish but didn't like prawns. Would eat 'round any in any "human" food he was given.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
My shooting partners gundog is like that, yet loves to chew cartridges! Have to keep the bag buckled up he's that bad

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

My wolf/malamute was very much like that also. She also had a cast iron stomach until she got old. Comparing cats and canines is like comparing apples and oranges though; cats aren't really completely domesticated (much like my wolf/malamute)

Last edited:

Palaeocory

Forager
I'm not saying it is or isn't healthier for them, but dogs have been eating cooked food scraps of whatever humans have been eating for +30,000 years. Wolves have a raw diet. So as long as it's not framed as being 'more natural' I'm on board ;) (and don't get me started on the Palaeo diet...!!!)

Wow. Interesting and timely thread!

We're literally just about to get a puppy (went to visit them yesterday) and have been looking for a while. The first breeder we met up with advocated a raw meat diet and I've been deliberating what to feed her ever since... but with a vegetarian wife I'm wondering if slabs meat are going to go down so well!! Those that do, how do you buy it, store it and feed it to the dog etc. It seems natural to me and I've met a couple of dogs who are on this diet and they were in tip top condition, lovely clean coat, no smell and as has been mentioned... more pleasant movements for all!

Any advice would be really, really appreciated.

Many thanks

Leo

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
We started our (now 9 year old) JRT on a BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet when he was a pup - it's not just raw meat, there's a bit more to it. He still gets occasional raw meat and vegetable dinners, but bones now very rarely. There are plus and minus points, the majority of his food is now Chappie.

Do speak to your vet, there's a number of web 'outlets' who would have you believe that all 'Western' medicine and veterinary medicine is about slowly poisoning you and your dog - by and large these are the places whose business depends on a) selling you supplements and b) scaring you with pseudo-science about real medicine that have little or no basis in actual fact.

FlyingFox

May 28, 2013
South Yorkshire
If you speak to any dog owners that raw feed you will get all positive views and how they are so much better then on any processed food....

Cos its true! when our oldest went off kibble we switched him to raw, then our latest pup went straight onto raw when we got her.
hardly any waste, what i do miss in the garden breaks down after 2days, they only pass once or twice a day.
plus the savings are great (except the new freezer and shed setup that i had to buy to store their food) we buy nearly 30/40 days worth at a time to stock up.

We give them some bones once a week to clean their teeth, and vary the diet so they don't get too much bone content (from chicken/turkey etc)

promazine

Aug 8, 2015
United Kingdom
I raw feed our boxer dog - it was only started as she has allergies to EVERYTHING. Once we switched her itching/chewing/tearing herself to pieces slowed down to the point where she is only on a 3rd of the amount of steroids she used to be on while eating kibble. Her coat is beautiful, breath is odourless, teeth are perfect (vet is convinced we brush them regularly - yet we have never once brushed them) and her numbers 2's are crumbly and white after a day or two. We hardly bother picking them up in the garden anymore.
Her diet is basically chicken quarters supplemented with heart, lung, liver, kidneys, tripe and various fish. She absolutely loves it and never turns her nose up at it (unlike the kibble).

Our vet wasn't exactly pleased with it - she was probably most disappointed that we wouldn't be buying the "super dooper ultra non allergy" kibble from them anymore. She told us that she might become more protective/aggressive around her food and that it might increase her prey drive to a point when other small animals (cats etc) would be at risk. All utter tosh.

What we have noticed is that we can feed her literally anything raw without easing it into her diet - we can give her any amount of any kind of meat and she handles it fine. If someone slips her a little doggy treat (happens all the time in the park), it causes a God almighty explosion of horrendous proportions out the other end a couple of hours later - which is NOT cool.

As above - we too have a "doggy" freezer where we store all the chicken quarters and other bits and bobs. Most of the fish is from the reduced section in tescos etc. can't beat a few mackerel for a quid - and our boxer quite literally inhales them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you speak to any dog owners that raw feed you will get all positive views and how they are so much better then on any processed food....

Cos its true! when our oldest went off kibble we switched him to raw, then our latest pup went straight onto raw when we got her.
hardly any waste, what i do miss in the garden breaks down after 2days, they only pass once or twice a day.
plus the savings are great (except the new freezer and shed setup that i had to buy to store their food) we buy nearly 30/40 days worth at a time to stock up.

We give them some bones once a week to clean their teeth, and vary the diet so they don't get too much bone content (from chicken/turkey etc)

So are you subscribed to a certain 'brand' as it were or do you source it yourself? I literally have no idea! I didn't know about it until a year or so ago and previous dogs have been on mostly dry food.

I raw feed our boxer dog - it was only started as she has allergies to EVERYTHING. Once we switched her itching/chewing/tearing herself to pieces slowed down to the point where she is only on a 3rd of the amount of steroids she used to be on while eating kibble. Her coat is beautiful, breath is odourless, teeth are perfect (vet is convinced we brush them regularly - yet we have never once brushed them) and her numbers 2's are crumbly and white after a day or two. We hardly bother picking them up in the garden anymore.
Her diet is basically chicken quarters supplemented with heart, lung, liver, kidneys, tripe and various fish. She absolutely loves it and never turns her nose up at it (unlike the kibble).

Our vet wasn't exactly pleased with it - she was probably most disappointed that we wouldn't be buying the "super dooper ultra non allergy" kibble from them anymore. She told us that she might become more protective/aggressive around her food and that it might increase her prey drive to a point when other small animals (cats etc) would be at risk. All utter tosh.

What we have noticed is that we can feed her literally anything raw without easing it into her diet - we can give her any amount of any kind of meat and she handles it fine. If someone slips her a little doggy treat (happens all the time in the park), it causes a God almighty explosion of horrendous proportions out the other end a couple of hours later - which is NOT cool.

As above - we too have a "doggy" freezer where we store all the chicken quarters and other bits and bobs. Most of the fish is from the reduced section in tescos etc. can't beat a few mackerel for a quid - and our boxer quite literally inhales them :)

Sounds good. I suppose if you aren't spending out on lots of medicine you will be saving money there too but is it a more expensive way to feed or is it comparable to decent quality 'other' foods?

promazine

Aug 8, 2015
United Kingdom
Sounds good. I suppose if you aren't spending out on lots of medicine you will be saving money there too but is it a more expensive way to feed or is it comparable to decent quality 'other' foods?

Certainly cheaper than the special diet kibble she was on before.
Compared to "normal" dog food - not sure, but even if our next doggy is AOK health wise we will be feeding raw, just because of how much better they seem to do on it.

One whole chicken lasts 3/4 days depending on what we supplement with. Some days she gets a couple of kidneys, so she gets more chicken. Some days she gets a large lump of lung, and so gets less chicken. She has about 800-900g of food a day, usually a small chicken quarter in the morning.

Top tip for the bits to supplement with - go to the back street Asian/Indian butchers (we are lucky being in brum lol) they don't bat an eyelid when you ask for lungs/liver/intestines etc. and it's all cheap as chips.
We usually get an ox heart from our local butcher, and cut it into 400/500g pieces before bagging and freezing.

Preparing it all isn't for the faint of heart - my other half does chickens etc. but the offal is my job lol. That's probably the only downside - it isn't as easy as pouring a cup of dried kibble into a bowl or opening a can.

FlyingFox

May 28, 2013
South Yorkshire
So are you subscribed to a certain 'brand' as it were or do you source it yourself? I literally have no idea! I didn't know about it until a year or so ago and previous dogs have been on mostly dry food.

so in south Yorkshire we buy from Real Pet Grub a distributor for DAF (durham animal feeds) and a local place we have just found recently (jays animal feeds)

but the main "names" to look for is DAF and Bulmers and BARF. a google search should pop up any local shops to you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE