Boil in the bag Omelettes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Carp speakers on my laptop, and the murrican narrator's accent make me hear "cook for 13 minutes", is that what she said? if so, it seems a long time to boil cook a couple of eggs.

I could pluck, kill and clean a chicken (in that order) quicker :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Neat idea! Cheers for putting that vid up goodjob

I've read about it in the older camping handbooks, but never seen it in the flash ... What's the taste like?

Powdered egg tastes fine Johan. A lot of the British Military 10 man ration packs have a bag of powdered egg in them. Obviously not as good as fresh but fine for omelettes, quiche, bannock, cake etc.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes but don't you still need to carry "the wet" to mix with the dryed eggs???

But the dried store longer and don't smash on the trip in. Also you can find the wet where you rock up. Pretty much the reasons for dried food of all types, though sometimes the taste isn't as good - though sometimes it improves the taste.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
But the dried store longer and don't smash on the trip in. Also you can find the wet where you rock up. Pretty much the reasons for dried food of all types, though sometimes the taste isn't as good - though sometimes it improves the taste.

good point well put! I've not seen powdered egg any where.. then again I've not realy been looking specificly for it... I went to the bother of. after much searching... of purchasing a lock & lock for a dozen eggs... adding both bulk & more weight... a trade off as I really like fried & boiled eggs...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
good point well put! I've not seen powdered egg any where.. then again I've not realy been looking specificly for it... I went to the bother of. after much searching... of purchasing a lock & lock for a dozen eggs... adding both bulk & more weight... a trade off as I really like fried & boiled eggs...

I like fresh eggs too. I've posted before that for winter day walks I often boil a couple of eggs before setting off and use them as handwarmers then have them cold for lunch.
Also chip a hole in the end and bake fresh eggs in the embers of the fire. Really nice.
On the wet eggs front, you can crack eggs into a bottle or lockbag and carry them that way. Kind've means it'll have to be an omlette or scrambled but saves on bulk and fear of eggs breaking in your kit.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Yes but don't you still need to carry "the wet" to mix with the dryed eggs???

Err, no you don't lol!!!

Well not unless you prefer carrying all your water with you form start to finish. A lot of people use filter on water sources en-route and then fill up water carrier before you hit base camp. What on earth do you think the point of dehydrated/freeze dried meal packs are?? :rolleyes:

Also, even if you did it's redundant weight as you're putting water you would already be carrying anyway into mix.

I've read about it in the older camping handbooks, but never seen it in the flash ... What's the taste like?

Eggy lol

They taste fine bud. You just need to get mixture right, just add enough water until it resembles the consistency of broken eggs, add seasoning and then fry them up or use them as ingredient as normally would.

You can get them from health shops or eBay etc.

I have used this one...
http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12049968

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Potentially the best response from showing someone a video, after showing Steph that she replied "babe, please don't try to make me an omlette in a bag for breakfast" :lmao:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Carp speakers on my laptop, and the murrican narrator's accent make me hear "cook for 13 minutes", is that what she said? if so, it seems a long time to boil cook a couple of eggs.

Yeah you're right 13 minutes. I guess it's that long so you can be sure the eggs are cooked all the way through. It would be a bit rough to serve it and cut it open to have uncooked egg in the middle. Might have to give that a try.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
With clingfilm/saran wrap you can do individual portions which would cook quicker. Have done it to poach eggs before. Start with a piece of cling film, make a ring with your index finger and thumb (like you're making the okay sign). Place the sheet over the ring and poke it down a bit. Pour the egg into the dip and then twist and seal the film pop into the hot water and cook. Each one takes as long as an egg to cook if you keep them that size. If you're a bit cackhanded you can place the film over a cup, this gives you two hands to do the twisting and wrapping. As well as poaching if you beat the eggs and or add cheese or whatever you can make scrambled egg balls which have novelty value for kids (and some adults :D ).

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

You also have Cheese, Ham, Mushrooms and onion as well as several omelettes to cook in the clip.
Maybe of you were just cooking eggs you could get away with 3-4 minutes. ?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Tried it today doesn't take anywhere near 13 mins 5 at the most... Also Steph has a bag of omelette for lunch XD

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Err, no you don't lol!!!

Well not unless you prefer carrying all your water with you form start to finish. :rolleyes:

Also, even if you did it's redundant weight as you're putting water you would already be carrying anyway into mix.

Back packing light that's for sissies, me I'm loaded like a donkey with kit when I go out, I would love a dehydrator, but can't afford the luxury of a proper one... or a proper water filter thingy & I'm probably too lazy to make & wait for home made filter to do their thing & I've never really needed to filter muddy water anyways... living in Scotland there's no shortage of running water, if its fast flowing & clear I've been drinking it neet for years. & also in Scotland it rains a lot, leave a polly poke stretched out like a funnel attached to a 2ltr bottle its not long before you have plenty.... I do have purification tabs but never used them... but yea I am a water carrier.. replenish as you go... but Yes water is part of my kit, & if you are polite there is quite often an abundance of farmers willing to sell you a 1/2 dozen or so eggs, & a top up for your water bottle. I've always found Scottish farmers to be a friendly bunch & if you ask they will often rent you a corner in one of Their fields for the night for a small fee... & sometimes even for free.... if you watch the cows on dairy farms they will start to head towards the parlor for milking usually about 4 O'clock get chatting with the farmer who comes to herd them & open the gates & you can even stock up with fresh milk straight from the cow...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE