Need a name for our new puppy :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Folks

We have a new pup coming! It's been on the cards for a while but after a few blanks were fired we've finally got there :)

It's a lovely Wirehaired Hungarian Vizsla bitch and I need your help with an outstanding name before the three women in my life give it some humiliating name unbefitting anything with a pulse!

I just can't put my finger on it yet, but I'm not keen on christian names for dogs. I've met a few dogs with names that give them real character, 'Bomber Harris' a portly headstrong Norfolk terrier owned by an ex SAS instructor, 'Peanut' Heinz variety dacshund/other with odd ears, odd brain and odd smell, 'Acer' a lovely fawn coloured lurcher with stunning grey eyes, and 'Jura' and 'Iona', two Wirehaired German Pointers.

I'm thinking inspired by the natural world, place, a funky inanimate 'thing' or even a distinguished surname, any thoughts please?

Thanks

Leo

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Walnut, inka, Bertie,Bond, Tyler,Oak, Seb (sebastian) Oscar, Luke. Guss, Angus, ( i am not a Jock)!! Cocoa.
last but not least,,,,,, Come here you little Bbbbbbbbbd. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If you're getting her now, it's Autumn and she's fawn or pale brown the colour of falling leaves, call her Oszi, Hungarian for Autumn..:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given the current 75th anniversary how about Bader, Hurricane or Spitfire?

I do not suggest naming her after Sir Guy Gibsons dog who was the most famous in WWII as shouting that name might get you in trouble!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ours is called Rollo Longjaw, abbreviated to 'rolly' or affectionately, 'the big chocolate bear.'

I named him. I offer no excuses.

[Course being a chocolate lab everyone thinks i named him after a pack of chocolate sweets]

Rollo, in the teutonic languages means 'famous wolf'

You could go a bit classical, Spartacus, Hera for a bitch, [or Juno, from the Latin] Zeus, etc...

Major, Rover, Bruno....dogs not bitches names.

Just google dogs names, loads of lists.

Last edited:
I've sprawled the lists Dave, this might sound daft but when I look through them there is no context so they all seem quite flat. I'm fighting against my wife's suggestion of 'Dotty' at the moment, surely that's inhumane isn't it?!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
dont give her a name at all ! joking aside. ...depends on who it is that asks what my dog is called. ...i sometimes just reply. "he doesnt have a name....why would he need one ? hes not getting baptized...he doesnt need a driving licence, a tv licence a bank account or a phone contract. ...hes friends with who he likes and doesnt expect a birthday card ....so why does he need a name ? "

ohhhh there expressions and mumblings after are worth their weight in doggy bags lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've sprawled the lists Dave, this might sound daft but when I look through them there is no context so they all seem quite flat. I'm fighting against my wife's suggestion of 'Dotty' at the moment, surely that's inhumane isn't it?!

I dont know mate. If youve got daughters, it'll end up being called princess or something....:) Imagine calling that in, because you know who'll end up walking it....:lmao:

I know what you mean about the lists though.

JoboTheHobo

Sep 19, 2015
Norfolk
We've always named out pets after foods for some reason,

In the past we've had pets called Peanut and Sushi, and currently have a Shih Tzu called Cherry, a Staffy called Cookie and a cat called Olive ( I blame the kids lol ):)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I suggest you have the dog a few days, or a week or two before you name it. You'll be able to start to see the character then and choose an appropriate name. That's what I did with my rescue dog terrier.

That's got to be the way to go, I can't imagine naming a person or an animal without having got to know it first. I couldn't begin to count the horses and dogs I've named over the years but they've all told me what they wanted to be called, one way or another.

My spaniel Molly very rarely gets called by that name, she has a different name every ten minutes but knows them all instantly; it's the tone of voice that's important, not the word spoken....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE