Let's see your BBQ setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Oh wow! Every bloke should be allowed to have one of those in their garden by law. It's kind've Top Trumps in the BBQ stakes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
Eventually were going to come across someone who's just filled an old fish pond with coal though. Wonder if I could cook a burger on the forge?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
In Easter mode

Picture093.jpg

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not so much the setup, but the contents for an impromtu alfresco tea tonight. Goat kebabs. Bloody beautiful.
784bada632113129dc45fb55f5318877.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not so much the setup, but the contents for an impromtu alfresco tea tonight. Goat kebabs. Bloody beautiful.
784bada632113129dc45fb55f5318877.jpg

Looks good. Goats are my favourite ungulate both on and off the plate. Not that easy to get out here though. Was easier when I lived in a big city with more of a diverse popupation. Do like a nice kebab.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Check out post#8. If you are not onto cooking with indirect BBQ heat, you are really missing something.
The long time and the low temp allows for the destruction of all tough connective tissues. You can't rush this.

Sat/Aug/15: salvage-pruned a whole apple tree, broom-stick and bigger, for smoke wood. Some dumb bugger didn't hear that this was an heritage apple tree in the village.
I don't believe he even got his pee-pee slapped. I asked for and got permission to salvage what I could. All goes to BBQ smoke wood.

This afternoon, I mixed up a double batch of dry rub seasoning for the pork side ribs that I will cook tomorrow. Two whole racks of side ribs take more than a cup (2?) to coat.
Beer in the fat dish. BBQ #17 in my career! Thrash 'em, bash 'em and move on.

Why ribs? I can't find the lamb shanks. I have no cornish game hens. We ate the chickens. Bison is altogether too tender to need this.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I did see Tom Kerridge cook steak in a foundry on TV the other day,

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I saw that too. Orange hot metal with a nice bit of steak on it. They all looked liked they enjoyed eating it when it was cooked.

Can you remember what they called it ? I'm thinking "Black and blue" ? But I can not be sure

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I saw that too. Orange hot metal with a nice bit of steak on it. They all looked liked they enjoyed eating it when it was cooked.

Can you remember what they called it ? I'm thinking "Black and blue" ? But I can not be sure

I proved to a colleague that you can cook a leek pudding in an autoclave. And apparently you can do fish the same way, although I don't eat fish. Uses for industrial equipment eh!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Why ribs? I can't find the lamb shanks. I have no cornish game hens. We ate the chickens. Bison is altogether too tender to need this.

The buffalo I've eaten was actually somewhat tough (apart from ground buffalo meat) Not as tough as deer, but tougher than the tough beef cuts. That said, it was extremely good! I've only had it a few times though (I could count them on one hand)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 to the indirect method and to Weber kettles. This photo isn't mine but it's exactly how I do mine (there needs to be a shallow bit of water in the pan and then put the cooking grate over the set up with the meat over the pan then put the lid on) I add wood chips onto the charcoal to smoke the meat as well (hickory or mesquite are my favorites) It's great for any and every meat I cook.

Cut up chicken takes about 45 minutes to an hour as do spare ribs. Beef brisket takes about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. A whole small turkey (less than 15 pounds) takes about 2 hours.

indirectcooking.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Santaman: great illustration of indirect. I did ribs without water (waste of beer) most recently and the were dryer than I like.

Bison is like most other game = very litle fat content so it cooks very quickly and is completely unforgiving if over done.
The local ranch is on the west edge of the village, I buy a side of a 2 yr-old, more-or-less, each autumn. 13-14 years this November.
Bison tastes like what your expectations are for a satisfying "meaty" taste.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I have a small Weber Go Anywhere which I am having great fun using for direct heat BBQ...Not sure if it would be big enough to use for the indirect method?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a small Weber Go Anywhere which I am having great fun using for direct heat BBQ...Not sure if it would be big enough to use for the indirect method?

I had one of those and loved it. You're right though, it's not really big enough for indirect. The fire just isn't big enough to last long enough.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Mine is a big half barrel thing with a lid...however I love the size of it - this was yesterday's seafood BBQ went well with some home made Guiness, fenel and rye bread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE