Permethrin - where do you buy it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Been looking around online without much success for some Permethrin in 10% or similar solution.

Would like to treat my clothing before travel and buying and diluting a 10% solution is much much cheaper than buying a pre-made 0.5% spray that can only treat a single item.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
If there is enough for one net, there will be enough for several items of clothing.

You use a stronger solution for nets so it lasts longer, you use a weaker solution for clothing.

It's not an exact science because some clothing is more or less absorbant than other clothing, just get the stuff diluted in a bucket and get your gear in there.

You can see the effect start to wear off - when you've just done it you'll have nothing near you at all, then after 3 weeks or so mozzies will start to land on your clothes to have a sniff and then fly off, after about 4-5 weeks they will be unaffected and will start to bite through the fabric.

If you're on a long trip, buy two or three bottles and take some with you for re-treatment?

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
A net is a similar weight to a light pair of trousers.

The item needs to be placed into a tub of this mixture. 50ml + 350ml of water.

A pair of trousers will absorb an a lot more fluid than a net will. A massive about more. So that 400ml mixture that the bottle produces will be gone in one dunking.

When wrung out within an inch of their life, the dipped trousers might leave enough solution left to do a sock.

I've go to do a couple of pairs of trousers, some socks, a few tops, a whole tent, and a double sleeping bag liner (for when in dodgy/dirty hotels).

Even the 350ml spray bottles that Lifeventure sell only do 1 item of clothing, and that's at 0.5% ideally I'd like a stronger to last longer. I can't carry pestisides across borders.

Will post up here once I've found something. Need to check the tack shops.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
No not used in clothing applications, only equine.

From what I can see 0.5% is the minimum effective dose. No clothing treatments come in at less than that and are claimed to last between 2 weeks to a couple of months depending on whether they are sprayed or dunked.

The mosquito net one is 1.18% but it doesn't say if that's after diluting. If it's before, then by diluting with 350ml you're getting something like 0.15% I've not come across anything in such a low strength lasting, especially 2 years as is the claim on the bottle.

It used to be easy to just but 500ml - 1l 10% permethrin 90% inert, maybe the law has changed or something.

EDIT: Actually seen similar bottles to the Lifesystems one now that are 11-12% so I presume Lifesystems must be giving the diluted figure. The bottle looks small enough to smuggle in for a re-treatment once when on the move.

Last edited:

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Funny how lifesystems claim 2 years for a treated net, and this which is essentially the same concentrate claims 4-6 months.

Cheers for the link.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Apologies for reviving an old thread but I am soon off to tick and midge land in the middle of summer. Only possible saving grace it being coastal.

So in that aim I want to go armed. Happy with all my usual bugnets and personal treatment but need something that will upset them when they land on clothing.

Permethrin seems to be the one to go for but it seems hard to gauge how much i need. Looking to do a silk hammock if possible? Midge net, two pairs of keks, couple shirts and some socks.

Help with links to buy appreciated thanks.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks. Anything UK based? Should have mentioned sorry.

What is the average concentration/treatment method? Is one 1litre going to sort all my needs or?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I bought this mosi net treatment last year. 50ml at 12% and diluted it down to give me just over 1%.

I spray it onto outer clothing with the bottle shown and it gives a fairly good soaking.

I'm constantly moving along or laying up on (deer) game trails with the possibility of tick bites so I don't just use the permethrine in isolation. I keep sleeves down, blouse trouser hems, wear a bush hat etc and I still use repellent spray (Incognito).
If I'm static I light up a citronella smoke stick. (Also Incognito). I hope you find this useful.

sales@purpleturtle.co.uk <sales@purpleturtle.co.uk>

permethrin.jpg IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4827.JPG

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Aye Up,

I bought this mosi net treatment last year. 50ml at 12% and diluted it down to give me just over 1%.

I spray it onto outer clothing with the bottle shown and it gives a fairly good soaking.

I'm constantly moving along or laying up on (deer) game trails with the possibility of tick bites so I don't just use the permethrine in isolation. I keep sleeves down, blouse trouser hems, wear a bush hat etc and I still use repellent spray (Incognito).
If I'm static I light up a citronella smoke stick. (Also Incognito). I hope you find this useful.

sales@purpleturtle.co.uk <sales@purpleturtle.co.uk>

View attachment 44968 View attachment 44969 View attachment 44970

Excellent thanks. So just grab the http://purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/Pyramid-Mosquito-Net-Impregnation-Kit-770.html#SID=111 then dilute in a spray bottle to just over 1% and apply to clothes? Rather than soaking clothes?

Thanks again.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Basically yes. The instructions that come with it recommend mixing the permethrine with 500ml of water for a mosi net, which should have a stronger dose than clothing.

I bought several packs and mixed up about 2 litres which still works out cheaper than the some of the pre mixed clothing specific commercially sold products.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just wondering:
why do you want to create a potentially toxic surrounding when you sleep? If used properly the net will keep everything out.

I think you overdo it if you plan to impregnate everything with the stuff. Just my 2 pennies.....

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just wondering:
why do you want to create a potentially toxic surrounding when you sleep? If used properly the net will keep everything out.

I think you overdo it if you plan to impregnate everything with the stuff. Just my 2 pennies.....

Agreed. The hammock was, with more thought not a good idea. My main aim was information about treating clothing.

Usually I just apply skin contact stuff but thought why not double up if the benefits out-weigh the costs. When up north I am usually in a canoe so a little less chance of ticks where as this trip might be more bush whackin..

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, but remember that you really do not want to expose yourself for too much of that stuff!

Your skin can react. Other than that, it is supposed to be very safe!

(DDT was also very effective snd very safe)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE