Double-ended Whoopee Sling (for tarp guy-line)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
I picked up some cheap Polypropylene cord at Lidl the other day, 1.7 and 2mm. Thought I might use it as guy-lines for my tarp.
20150705_183817_zpsefzvjk8g.jpg

I decided to make some adjustable guys and a whoopee sling seemed ideal, except for the fact that a 12' length of cord only made a 6' maximum guy. So, I thought I would experiment with using the whoopee sling the "wrong" way round, by splicing a loop on the running end of the sling (as well as the normal one on the standing end).

20150705_183739_zpsqgxncn3i.jpg

When using the "wrong" loop, it was a little more slippy, so I increased the size of the threaded-through part by a couple of inches, that gave it enough friction.
The big advantage of doing this is that I can use it two ways. In conventional mode it adjusts from about a foot long to 6', then in "wrong" mode it adjusts from 6' out to 10' 6" (not bad from a 12' length); making for a very adaptable guy-line.

Sorry if this is old hat, but I searched and Googled and not found any reference to using whoopee slings this way.

Last edited:

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Thought Polyprop was a good idea for guys, less water absorption than nylon, more stretch than dyneema.
I'm making the assumtion that a bit of stretch is a good thing in a guy.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
That looks great....rather complicated etc but it looks good and if you're happy with it then good for you :)

I tend to use a bungee or whatever scraps of cord I have with me and whatever knots I fancy tying at the time lol :) I try not to do the same thing all the time as I feel it inhibits my minds ability to improvise when kit/situations change :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Me I think its a grand idea. O.K. the idea of just using knots is more flexible but that in itself does not make this a bad idea. I have used 99p shop cord to make tarp guy whoppie's and had the 12ft cord makes a 6ft guy issue. This addresses the issue and seems like any easy fix. Having been part of the line loks group buy I have got even more lazy with guy lines having thrown a few quid at the problem.

None of which stops this from being a neat idea and one I am glad you shared.

(It is also not a dig at anyone, a flame war or any of that just my "2 cents worth" and maybe that's all my opinion is worth)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
(It is also not a dig at anyone, a flame war or any of that just my "2 cents worth" and maybe that's all my opinion is worth)

I don't think your post came over as a dig mate, well I certainly didn't read it that way :) Everybody's opinion is valid and each to their own :). If you like it then great, I think its neat too....just a little over kill for a tarp guy line IMO ;)

Hang easy Hammock Man :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks.
I can hang easy, its the hanging warm, comfortable, out of the wind, off the ground, safe, level I have problems with !!!!!!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Is that lidl cordage any good? Been set somewhat of a budget bushcraft challenge you see so if it's any good it might be an option

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks great....rather complicated etc but it looks good and if you're happy with it then good for you :)

I tend to use a bungee or whatever scraps of cord I have with me and whatever knots I fancy tying at the time lol :) I try not to do the same thing all the time as I feel it inhibits my minds ability to improvise when kit/situations change :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

My feelings entirely :)

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
I couldn't break either the 2mm or the 1.7mm with a load of 35kg (measured with spring balance, 12" length fixed both end with a no-knot).
Next step up is 92kg!! (endangering like and limb)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE