Machete or Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Depends what you want to actually use it for they are 2 very different tools for very different uses

a proper machete has a very long broad but thin light blade is for swinging all day cutting through secondary jungle which is mostly thinnish soft vines etc for UK Brambles nettles thin hazel and needs constant re-honing as its pretty soft
its not really much use for Processing larger Hardwood for fires
Home use South american Jungles

Axe is specifically a wood processing tool even a small hatchet will be as heavy or heavier than most machetes your not going to clear any brush or Bramble for them.
Home use Europe and N america (when the Europeans landed)

For mixed use I prefer a khukhri or a Parang both Jungle tools but more suited to Primary Jungle being Shorter and heavier than a Machete not ideal for swinging all day but can clear Brush and can chop heavy hardwoods the Parang being longer and a little lighter build than the Khukhri
I find them a good Carry over an Axe but wont Chop wood as efficiently jut do a lot of other things well as well that an axe wont a Billhook is in a similar area to a Khukhri thinner blade but wider to cut and slice well Ive not got on with them as a Bushcraft tool preferring the Khukhri in that role as i find it more versatile (and I've used one for over 20yrs so used to it)

teh Golock is a tool similer in use to eh Parang and the British army is a Poor example of this

Leuku and similar i would put as a smaller catagory ie a camp knife has its place but wont match any of the above in heavy processing and clearance etc
I like this size blade as well finding its well matched to a small knife and a Folding saw if you want to ditch the axe and heavier tool

My own version in this is a DNK XL camp Nessy with 8" blade

ATB

Duncan

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
In short , don't think just shape , think blade Geometery.

Perfect form FOLLOWS function.

I,m starting to buy some kit. What do you think is the best for general fire wood cutting. The machete or a small axe? Eventually I will get both. Money dictates at the moment.
Also, I have been looking on google for a British Army machete. Anyone have any links to where I can buy one?

Jsut to come back to the actual OP

general fire cutting for a house log burrner you need an axe or maybe a maul

for long term base camp and group cooking again an axe where you may use up easy use deadwood

for occasional and temp camps for 1-3 ish then you shouldn't need to cut chop much in a woodland trees already supply fire wood in all sizes jsut pick it up ans stack by size
I cut wood as little as possible so its wasted energy ans the fire wont care

So carry in any thing thats liftable break up into lengths longer is better for larger you can end feed all weekend or burn thro the middle and endfeed both

cam usually collect enough for a long weekend in about 20mins and not got a cutting tool out

first lighting you can use a small blade to feather up some if that floats your boat or maybe split a few smaller bits it really wet teh fire will dry out the rest as you go (a stack behind acts as a dryer rack and a Reflector)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'd also advise a small axe, rather than a machete, although Samon's billhook option may work well too.
If you are purely processing wood for fire or small projects and you already have a decent fixed blade knife, you could think about a folding saw Laplander stylee.You could baton the knife for splitting but a sharp saw is always faster and safer for cutting through branches.Especially if you are not familiar with using an axe safely and effectively.Its very hard to lose a finger or even a whole limb to a folding saw but looks like a doddle with a sharp axe!
Another point to bear in mind is the way that the ordinary folk you may meet will interpret your kit. Machetes are perceived as scary weapons with connotations with the military and also with gang culture.
Axes and especially saws are still seen by those with some common sense as tools rather than weapons.
I'm not approving or endorsing these perceptions.Just saying you may want to bear them in mind with a view to making your path smoother.
Personally I have far too many axes and knives but only one machete, which I traded with a view to modding it for splitting wood.Still in pipeline as its so much more convenient to do the job with an axe.
Cheers, Simon

Olaf

Jun 5, 2015
United Kingdom
True. sound advice. I have guns and do not walk around the high street with em. Although legally I can own them. I have no intention of walking into a camp site with a rambo knife strapped to me.

Olaf

Jun 5, 2015
United Kingdom
With post,s like the last one. This is going the wrong way. I never asked what will be the image I give out. Just stick to what I asked, simple

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Axes, machetes, knives, cutting tools in general; they're addictive. Just get one now and realize you're going to get more later. LOTS more!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Personally I have far too many axes and knives but only one machete..........

Too many!? There's no such condition as "too many!"

I have one working full size axe (and another two Plumb axe heads for future restoration) one hatchet, and two tomahawks in serviceable condition, four machetes of various lengths, one folding saw, one miniature (21") bow saw and one full sized bow saw (48") as well as three pocket knives, two larger folding knives, ten fixed blades (including assorted fishing, hunting, military, diving, GP knives) as well as a chain saw.

It still ain't enough!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
True. sound advice. I have guns and do not walk around the high street with em. Although legally I can own them. I have no intention of walking into a camp site with a rambo knife strapped to me.
Although legally you can own them, you cannot legally walk around the high street with them.
With guns the law is far less grey and open to individual interpretation.My post was not intended to steer you away from "Rambo" knives, but to possibly add to the factors you might want to consider when making your choice.I assumed that when walking into a campsite you would have axe or machete stowed safely in your pack anyway.
If I had to stick solely to your original brief of processing firewood, the answer is saw.
Simon

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have a condor village parang which I prefer to an axe for all but splitting. It's a hefty beast and goes through small rounds with one swipe.

I can afford to be less accurate with it so swing harder (the cutting edge is longer than an axe so much harder to miss)

They all Hanve Pros and Cons one of the reasons i like making is to trye differnt Designs from around the World see how they work and maybe improve them for how i use them
Heres my big range

the Odd one is the Khukhri as its a very big example 14" blade and weighs in at 1kg my usual carry is a 10-12"

I use all these round my garden and land and a few hrs swinging at various things certainly shows up its and your limitations

10606234_934534133228328_7373842539772937223_n.jpg

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have found with a fair bit of trial and error that the best compromise blade for me (and make no mistake one blade for all jobs is a massive compromise) has been the Condor village parang. Having said that I am still yet to try a good quality Khukhri which Is the only knife left now that I still have a massive hankering to own.

CTK41912HC.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE