Arctic Circle, solo. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Doc, Me and some of the lads want to do this trip next May

If possible could you answer a few questions.

1. What map No did you have for that area?

2. Where did you buy Meths from for your stove?

3. Did you book train and bus tickets in advance, and if so where from?

I am sure there will be many more along the way but I'll leave it at that.

Many thanks in advance

Twodogs

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Bump>>>>>>>>>

Doc any info on this please?

Ignore me if you've replied to Cliff. :)

Doc, Me and some of the lads want to do this trip next May

If possible could you answer a few questions.

1. What map No did you have for that area?

2. Where did you buy Meths from for your stove?

3. Did you book train and bus tickets in advance, and if so where from?

I am sure there will be many more along the way but I'll leave it at that.

Many thanks in advance

Twodogs

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hi guys, sorry for delay. Am on holiday in Turkey and struggling with internet access- I replied to the thread and nothing happened- will try again...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Seems to work now.

Meths: obviously you can't take it with you. I was directed to various sports shops for it - no success. Eventually Ifound something similar at the garage in Rovaniemi near the bus station. It was pink, smelt of acetone not meths, but it did the job.

Maps: you can print maps off on line and this plus the Metsahallitus leaflet is all you need for Arctic Circle hiking area- it is well trailmarked. If you are going further north to UKK park at Saariselka, I would buy maps - expensive but easy to get - any bookshop in Tampere or Rovaniemi.

I did not book rail or bus on line. The first thing I did in Tampere was to book the sleeper to Rovaniemi for that night. Then when I arrived in Rovaniemi I booked a sleeper for the return journey.

Remember some of the hiking trails could be flooded in May!

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Great pictures,thanks!It's always nice to see other parts of the world.That's my kind of country as it looks very similar to here.The museum looks like a great time too.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
My knife was the Grohmann boat knife that I've been using for years. Not quite as good as a Scandinavian grind knife for making feather sticks, but it is a very good all-rounder.

How did the airline handle it - was it OK stowing a knife in checked-in baggage?

Fantastic shots, looks like a great trip. I must do that sometime. As I'm also into aviation history I know a few crazy Finns that lurk around Tampere :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Seems to work now.

Meths: obviously you can't take it with you. I was directed to various sports shops for it - no success. Eventually Ifound something similar at the garage in Rovaniemi near the bus station. It was pink, smelt of acetone not meths, but it did the job.

Maps: you can print maps off on line and this plus the Metsahallitus leaflet is all you need for Arctic Circle hiking area- it is well trailmarked. If you are going further north to UKK park at Saariselka, I would buy maps - expensive but easy to get - any bookshop in Tampere or Rovaniemi.

I did not book rail or bus on line. The first thing I did in Tampere was to book the sleeper to Rovaniemi for that night. Then when I arrived in Rovaniemi I booked a sleeper for the return journey.

Remember some of the hiking trails could be flooded in May!

Cheers Doc, thanks for replying. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Cheers Doc, thanks for replying. :)

No problem guys, and feel free to contact me by PM or phone if I can give you more info - you are both old hands at the Scandinavian bushcraft trip but am happy to help any way I can.

Bigfoot, I had a Grohmann belt knife and folding saw in checked baggage and no problems. The stove is a bigger issue - you are not meant to carry liquid fuel stoves unless they are new. I took a used Brasslite meths stove but made certain it was bone dry. Without a trace of meths in it, I took the view that it was now a brass ornament, not a stove.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Just wanted to give personal thanks to Doc for this thread. Ever since I've seen it, (few years ago) I've always dreamed of doing this. And I've just returned from a 7 day solo trip from the exact same location, all inspired by you Doc :) Already thinking of booking my next flight to Scandinavia !

Thank you for sharing and inspiring so many of us Doc.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
We loved it, but we were there later in the season and the mozzies were fierce. More than once we put up just the inner tent for the mozzie netting. We loved the do-it-yourself sauna cabins that are built along some of the trails too. Chop your wood, fire up the stove, have a sauna, run out and leap into the lake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE