Bahco Laplander...the best saw ever?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It looks like a lot of people have a far wider experience of Bushcraft aplicable saws than the OP!
Personally I like the Laplander ... but I also like Aldi folding saws...
The Laplander looks cool and the shape is comfortable ... and it fits in my Topknot custom leather sheath best - so I will keep taking it on Bushy Meets :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I started with a Laplander and for many years was very happy with its cutting performance, the fact that it locks shut as well as open and so on. Then, I stumbled across a Silky Pocket Boy 170 in my local agricultural store. It was cheaper than a Laplander and had a usefully orange handle for those moments when it gets put down on the woodland floor in failing light. I am now an unapologetic Silky convert for all the reasons given earlier on this thread. I still keep the Laplander but it is my reserve saw, outclassed by the Silky.

So, no: the Laplander is not the best bushcraft saw ever. Sorry.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I still use my laplander and it lives in its old Ben Orford Woodsmoke pouch... I have used better (silky) and did intend to upgrade but then apathy took over because the laplander is still mostly fit for purpose.

As for the videos, definitely not a fan.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I stared out with the Laplander which is a good saw for the money, if you make a mistake with it it will bend instead of break.
Now I use a Silky F180 which gives a smother cut and is fast if you want it to be, you do have to mind not to make mistakes as I have seen two people break the tips off as the blades are on the bittle side.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I like the aldi folder, used it long enough that the bahco remained on my amazon wishlist. Recently obtaining a laplander means two saws. Both are good saws.

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
I don't know if its the best or not, I do know however, I took advantage of the Amazon deal that got me the Saw & a Mora for £25 or so, I think for that, it's the best.... deal I could get :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
After having used a few folding saws in the field.. from the cheap aldi ones, a number of other makes including the Laplander...

Only one saw for me is the sliky, better built, most robust, you can buy all the parts to replace lost and damaged ones.. saying that never broken my silky.

The silky is far more friendly in the cold weather wearing gloves,

Silky all the way

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't know the OP but looking at his youtube vids I'd say he's on or has completed some sort of psychology study and dabbles in bushcraft... nowt wrong in that, but as they say

"P roper P lanning P revents P ee P oor P orformance" (The six P's)

or perhaps more applicable in this review

"Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted" so he needed more research.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE