Man Jewellery!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are many interesting references to Ravens in the manuscript sources, and Hugin and Munin are just two of them.
raven-silhouette.gif

Their association with battlefields inevitably leads them to be referred to as valkyrja (choosers of the slain) in multiple sources. Both Old Norse and Old English sources (wælcyrie) make the same connections.

Given the strong connection between Oðinn and the Valkyrja who both lead the Einherjar (Slain warriors) to Valhol (Hall of the slain) it is not unreasonable to draw a strong connection between Oðinn and Ravens. Just as there also seems to be a connection between Sleipnir, Oðinn's eight legged horse, which is used to carry the Einherjar on their final journey, and the funeral bier carried by four men. Even the description of Valhol itself appears to be just a rather glorified burial mound.

Oðinn's role it seems is largely that of a psychopomp transporting valiant dead to the afterlife and his popularity with the rich and powerful in Viking times was probably due to the need for warriors that would willingly lay down their lives for their leaders.

As with all commentaries on beliefs held by people over a thousand years ago there are of course considerable gaps in our knowledge and understanding.

The written sources are fragmentary at best and distorted by later creeds at worst.

The historical sources are mostly written from an adversarial Christian point of view and Archaeology can tell us very little about religious practices.

A combination of all these sources may allow us to make inferences but is always open to different interpretations.

The popular perception that Oðinn was "superior" to the other gods seems to have mostly been promoted by his own followers. Most of that survives of course in the writings of Snorri Sturlusson

The poetic and historical sources are much less definite. According to Roman sources, Týr appears to have been the principle god but his importance must have diminished somewhat by the 13th century when Sturlusson is writing.

The Romans usually translated the names of local gods into their own, believing in their own superiority of course, but Tacitus named the Germanic "Mars" (believed to be Týr) as the primary deity, along with the Germanic "Mercury" (believed to be Odin), "Hercules" (believed to be Þórr) and "Isis" (Possibly Freyja/Frig)

Saxo Gramaticus suggests that Þórr was actually seen as the greatest challenge to incoming Christianity by the end of the pagan period. This conclusion is also drawn convincingly by H.R.Ellis Davidson in both “Gods and Myths of Northern Europe” and “The Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe”

From this we could draw several differing conclusions amongst which are:

1. The Cult of Þórr was the largest. (The majority of the population would have been simple farmers and artisans by far rather than warriors and Nobles.)

2. The Cult of Þórr posed the most opposition to conversion.

3. Other Cults such as that of Oðinn had already converted.

Archaeology points towards a few changes happening in the late pagan period. (These are general impressions made from studying many finds mostly in Scandinavia.)

First:

1. The status of woman’s burials reduces when compared to male burials of the same period.

2. Rich burials become richer and poor burials become poorer.

3. Very large buildings start to appear while poor dwellings become more widespread.

Then:

1. Many of the large buildings are destroyed, often by fire.

2. Rich burials start to decline.

3. Poor burials improve.

4. Christian burials start to appear.

5. Þórr’s Hammer amulets start to become more popular.

This is where we have to start reading between the lines and unfortunately if you put ten archaeologists in a room together you will get a hundred or more different theories.

These then can only ever be my own theories although I have discussed them with many learned people and found much general agreement.

The changes in burial practices points toward an increasing Patriarchy in Norse society even before the adoption of Christianity and an increasing power base amongst the rich, this is also reflected in building status.

Then something changes, perhaps the poor have had enough of their lot and decide it’s time for a change, we’ll probably never really know.

What we do know is that many of the big buildings are destroyed and there seem to be less rich pagan burials about.

At about the same time Christianity gains a foothold.

One possibility is that the rich decide to give up their wealth and become poor Christians... That seems a little unlikely to me.

Another possibility is that the rich are kicked out and seek refuge with another patriarchal system which supports their divine rights of leadership...

If so, then it would appear that the rich and powerful, who were also the most likely to be followers of the Oðinnic Cult, were amongst the first to convert, leaving the more popular Cult of Þor as the main target for Christian missionaries. There is some family name evidence for this in the Christian histories.

This also fits nicely with the rising fashion of Þórr’s hammer pendants which is not matched with any corresponding fashion for symbols of Oðinn even though the followers of Oðinn would presumably have been much more likely to afford such symbols.

That provides an interesting perspective to the writings of later scholars such as Sturlusson and the anonymous recorders of the poetic sources. Not only were they Christian but as many would have come from wealthy families, their ancestry was more likely to have supported the Oðinnic Cult and correspondingly more likely to record surviving myths from their own perspective.

This does much to explain why Þórr is generally made out to be just a figure of fun and also why all the early independent Goddesses are now simply recorded as the wives of the apparently much more important male Gods. This patriarchic attitude does not really appear in the earliest sources.

The rivalry between Þor and Oðinn is hinted at in many sources but non so clearly as in Hárbarðsljóð which is a flyting between Þor and Oðinn in disguise.

(Spoken by Hárbarðr (Oðinn in disguise))

“The noble who fall in the fight hath Oðinn,
And Þórr hath the race of the thralls.”

Meant as a taunt, so probably an overstatement. Never the less this makes it clear that there is a social divide between the dead gathered by Þórr and Oðinn. (Followers not deemed worthy would of course have fallen within Hel’s remit.)

From GRIMNISMOL

(Spoken by Oðinn)

Five hundred doors and forty there are,
I ween, in Valhall's walls;
Eight hundred fighters through one door fare
When to war with the wolf they go.

Five hundred rooms and forty there are
I ween, in Bilskirnir built;

Of all the homes whose roofs I beheld,
My son's the greatest meseemed.

This provides a reference for the name and a description of Þórr’s hall but also points out that Bilskirnir is the greatest, which indicates that it is large enough to accommodate a majority.

In pre industrial Europe this majority was undoubtedly the peasantry made up of Freemen, Freedmen and Thralls.

Another thing to consider is that while Oðinn was seen principally as a psycopomp or god of death
Odinn.gif
Thor.gif
Þórr was clearly considered to be the protector of Asgard and all the gods, including Oðinn.

Last edited:

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Great info and a great perspective on it Wayland, thanks. It's nearly impossible to look at the past without the prejudices and sensibilities of modern life. I'm sure a lot of what we hear is likewise skewed by either christian (suppose the anglosaxon stories of the blood eagle would be a good example of this) or later norse beliefs, loved reading the norse legends though, although I always got the feeling that you probably wouldn't really want to get too noticed by the norse gods irrespective of what you believed.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They do seem a fickle bunch. Oðinn in particular.

I cannot think of a single character "favoured by Oðinn" that is not betrayed by him in the end.
Oðinn needs warriors to stand with him in battle against the Jotuns at Ragnarok of course so he needs to fill Valhol and the only way he can do that is with dead men.
Odinn-Reaper.gif

If I had to choose, Þórr seems rather more more trustworthy.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Wayland; a pleasure to read your posts sir. I have a feeling I could listen to you for hours around a campfire mate

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Have to be careful which you chose as you don't miss out on being picked up by the valkries though...

Let me see...

If the Valkyrja choose me for Valhol I'm carried off into a barrow for an evening feasting and drinking before emerging to fight my table mates every day so that we can all be dragged back to the barrow to do it all again, getting hacked to bits in a drunken frenzy, day after day, till eventually dying with the gods at Ragnarok.
SheildWall.gif

Or, If I go to Bilskirnir I can spend my time waiting for Ragnarok, in the company of craftsmen and good honest salts of the earth, . . . hmmm... Tough choice.
Trader.gif

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ok, what about the shamanatic leanings of Odin, (I have no runes...) and his assuming `the power of a woman` (I hardly need elabourate!) which is a Saami connection.

He shares this with one other, whom I favour.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
What about them? . . . Several sources indicate that Seiðr was traditionally a female role and therefore considered disgraceful behaviour for a man. It does seem to have been occasionally practised by men according to the sagas, but it carried a heavy social penalty, almost to the point of banishment. (Which was considered a worse punishment that death at the time.)

Although such "unmanly conduct" was obviously considered a great taboo, Oðinn, Þórr and the demigod Loki are all to be found adopting female roles in the manuscript sources.

Oðinn resorting to Seiðr fits perfectly with the systematic patriachic removal of power from the feminine deities and transferring it to the male deities instead, even in the case of powers that so clearly have feminine associations.

Even Sturlusson himself tells us clearly that it is Freyja that brings Seiðr to the Aesir, one of the most powerful tools used by Oðinn to gather wisdom, yet she is hardly referred to by Sturlusson as anything but a simple and occasionally shameful object of desire.
Unsurprisingly, we also find Loki
Loki.gif
assuming a female role to conceive Sleipnir.

Many shamanistic practices are described as journeys to the otherword, sometimes to contact spirits of nature but often spirits of the dead. Sleipnir is described making this journey to the world of the dead in Völuspá so is clearly considered a suitable steed for a shaman as in some Eastern traditions.

Oðinn gains most of the other wisdom he acquires from living dead sources such as Mímir and Kvasir which again befits his position as psycopomp.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thankyou for all of that interesting reading Wayland. I was away last week so have only just seen it.

Anyway, I got mine all sorted. Comments welcome chaps, on my first piece of man jewellery!

This is the auction house Catalogue entry, where the coin was bought.

I bought a silver locket, with glass, and placed the coin inside. The locket is about the same diameter as a 2 pence piece. 24mm.
The image of a stag [or bull] normally showed the territorial fierceness of the clan leader. This one is particularly rare, as it is the only coin ever found, minted by tasciovanus, showing the stags horns.

Celtic coins are very small. All their rich and powerful imagery is packed into a thin disc often little bigger than a fingernail, yet they are one of the richest sources of celtic art in the world. With their strange otherwordly designs they evoke a forgotten time of magical beasts, amulets, druids and spirit helpers.
Much celtic art tends toward abstraction and pattern making, but in the more figurative and narrative style of coin art, it becomes easier to speculate the artists and designers intended to convey.

\

IMG_2578_zpswa15oti8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tasciovanus fought in his uncles campaign against Julius Ceaser. Ceaser wrote admiringly of their manner of battle, riding chariots at the roman legions.

As the British Iron Age (Celtic) period had no monetary system the common man had no need to barter it.(no until the Romans did money become relevant, mostly so they could tax them for everyuthing they did) It was only food, skills, clothes etc that were of interest. Gold coins & most silver were only used at the highest levels by the Chiefains to show off their power. They were given between leaders to gain political alliances & used to pay mercenaries to fight. (they would take their money back to Europe to spend in Roman Rule)
Also Druids to use them in ritual activities, but its hard to guess which of these 2 it was without the context of the unknown findspot. Probably it was owned by a druid and a celtic chieftan at some point in its life.

The red roses reflacted in the glass, are from my front door. Its a clear glass locket.

IMG_2573_zpsgtrbay2x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

il_570xN.170018465.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE