Rope - what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Mark, long time no speak.

Stein arborist throwline has been very well tested and is highly rated by others and myself. it's Dyneema but it does take a prussic fine. Dead easy to splice, it's actually easier than any other line I've used as the weave is coarser than lots of braids. It works very well with hardwear.

For a line that just takes knots though, Marlow/English braids polyester sheathed dyneema core is the best available.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Fair play if they work for you. I was just shocked to hear someone suggest using the blue poly rope as kindling and an old washing line as a ridge line. If wanting to upgrade my paracord to something more fancy makes me a designer bushcrafter, so be it, I'll bling it up in the woods and re-invent bushcraft glamping on another level :)

How much 'bling' do you want:)
You can get electroluminescent wire with a 1.4mm diameter and that should be thin enough to thread a long length along regular paracord like you did for your whoopie sling. The brightness of this stuff varies and I've never worked with this really small diameter EL wire but the 3.2mm is comparable length for length to a freshly activated chemical glow-stick.

Phosphorescent aka glow in the dark paint that recharges in sunlight could also be used to add a splash of subtle night time colour to ropes, equipment, edges of a tarp etc

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
How much 'bling' do you want:)
You can get electroluminescent wire with a 1.4mm diameter and that should be thin enough to thread a long length along regular paracord like you did for your whoopie sling. The brightness of this stuff varies and I've never worked with this really small diameter EL wire but the 3.2mm is comparable length for length to a freshly activated chemical glow-stick.

Phosphorescent aka glow in the dark paint that recharges in sunlight could also be used to add a splash of subtle night time colour to ropes, equipment, edges of a tarp etc

They did some tests with that wire in things like lifejackets as it glowed very brightly for very little power. So making you more visible at night in the water and also giving the wearer a faint light source.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you are going to buy more expansive then normal cordage can you please also do a review on whatever you buy? I would be interested to see how it compares to what others use if possible,

Tonyuk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
For my tarp I use 2mm Marlow throw line (http://www.marlowropes.com/arboriculture-prod/ropes/throwline.html)

180lb breaking stain is plenty strong enough. Polyester doesn't stretch much. Holds fixed/sliding/quick release knots very well. Thick enough to tie knots, thin enough to not be bulky. Lightweight. Orange is easy to see, but not too bright so you stick out like a sore thumb. Cheap.
After using it for 3-4 years everything else seems like overkill.

You must be a real lightweight or sit down very very gently. I'm a medium sized bloke and I weigh 175lb. Add some clothes and a sleeping bag - that's over 180lb. Take into account knots reducing strength and your 180lb breaking strain is down to around 120lb. If your line hasn't broken on you yet, I reckon that is because of manufacturers understating the strength of their rope.

An alternative to rope is woven tape, you can get it from loads of places, B&Q, etc. zero stretch, lightweight, packs small.

Edit: I thought this was for a hammock.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If you are going to buy more expansive then normal cordage can you please also do a review on whatever you buy? I would be interested to see how it compares to what others use if possible,

Tonyuk

That I can do. I have quite a few different types of not paracord. What would you like to see in such a review?

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't have the strength/weight ratio to climb any more. I feel no need at all to buy any sort of kernmantle.

Rope? Everything I need is 3-strand nylon 3/4". Some brands are really limp (hard to splice) and some are a little stiffer.
Learn to make all the useful splices so your kit looks really finished. Loop ends and back spliced ends are so easy to do.
I confess that I don't buy more than 100' (33M?) at a time.
For $0.75/ft, I can make up everything I need. If $1CDN is about 0.54BPS, that's maybe 40P/foot.
Applications: everything from simple belay, tarp and tent lines to tying down top loads for travel.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
That I can do. I have quite a few different types of not paracord. What would you like to see in such a review?

J

Any at all, I've never really been that much into cordage so couldn't name one in particular, thanks for any time though given for the reviews they'll definitely be helpful

If anyone's interested Poundworld (like Poundland) are selling packs of 6 bungees for a £1, they also have meter long ones in. Very handy for tarps i picked up a few and they seem good quality.

Tonyuk

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use starter cord - cheaper & stronger than paracord with less stretch & water retention. It is white, which may cause some people consternation but unlikely to get lost if I drop it. I generally use £ shop utility cord for the Prusik loops & 3mm Dyneema for my hammock whoopie slings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE