Rope - what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Chaps,

I've done a search and it seems this subject hasn't come up for a few years. I'm sorted for my whoopie sling etc.. I just need to replace my ridgeline rope and guy rope (I hate the standard stuff you get with tarps).

So my question is aimed at the chaps who have tried and tested many ropes, which one do you prefer? Why? does the rope stretch when wet.. easy to tie knots etc.. Or is paracord still king?

I'm a fan of prusik knot's, so I assume the rope cannot be slippery (i.e. dyneema) ?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Assuming the women can answer as well.

I use 2mm Dyneema from English Braids. It has a Dyneema core, and a polyester outer. Takes a knot well, takes a prussik well. Plenty strong enough for a tarp.

I did a big group buy last year, and I may do another in the coming months.

J

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
For my tarp I use 2mm Marlow throw line (http://www.marlowropes.com/arboriculture-prod/ropes/throwline.html)

180lb breaking stain is plenty strong enough. Polyester doesn't stretch much. Holds fixed/sliding/quick release knots very well. Thick enough to tie knots, thin enough to not be bulky. Lightweight. Orange is easy to see, but not too bright so you stick out like a sore thumb. Cheap.
After using it for 3-4 years everything else seems like overkill.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For the ridgeline I leave in place on my basecamp I use oiled Brazilian Sisal baler twine that I twisted into rope myself - it holds knots and prussiks well :)
I am not sure how long it will last (it has been up about 6 months continuously so far) but it will, no doubt, fail one day... and be recycled as tinder. Natural fibers Rule!
For travelling I use "el cheapo" "Utility cord" and have had the current piece on the go for about 7 years..... when that dies it will just be landfill...

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I carry 3mm multi-woven poly as it's cheap, massive breaking strain and does everything at 1/3rd the cost of paracord(although I wouldn't want to unweave it)
I've started buying 3mm bungee cord to attach to the tie outs on the tarp as it takes a lot of wind strain

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Pound store "para cord", old washing line, & as Kev says the blue poly stuff. By the way, the poly stuff doesn't half burn well 7 you can light it when its pouring down, so its also a good source of kindling, but it does give off black smoke !.

Rob

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Pound shop utility "para" cord. I left some up over the winter under intense strain and it lasted 6 months of UV before falling to pieces under my touch. Well worth a quid. When its out I usually buy the shop out for the scouts.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
When I think I may need a ridge line, I carry a 10m-ish length of 8mm hempex; brown polypropylene. Otherwise I just have the tarp guys.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Pound store "para cord", old washing line, & as Kev says the blue poly stuff. By the way, the poly stuff doesn't half burn well 7 you can light it when its pouring down, so its also a good source of kindling, but it does give off black smoke !.

Rob

WHAT?! I'm not after poly stuff, and I'm not after burning plastic on my fire. old washing line, £1 paracord.. these are terrible suggestion guys!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Genuine manilla hemp. Finding it though is a right royal pain.
Good sash cord works, but hemp line plyed up is really excellent. Buy a reel from the rope chandler and it's both a learning experience and good practice :D

cheers,
Toddy

http://www.master-ropemakers.co.uk

Plus it's good stuff to practice splicing on. It's a sadly dying art rope & wire splicing. Used to really enjoy doing it, but I reckon I'd have to sit down and really think on it now before I could do it effectively.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Plus it's good stuff to practice splicing on. It's a sadly dying art rope & wire splicing. Used to really enjoy doing it, but I reckon I'd have to sit down and really think on it now before I could do it effectively.

I think that polypropylene is better for practising splicing with, as the strands hold their form better when you unlay the rope.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think that polypropylene is better for practising splicing with, as the strands hold their form better when you unlay the rope.

Actually you're probably right. I was taught on hemp and wire hawswers so it's what I was used to. Though changing the moisture content of the hemp did help in its manipulation. Poly would be more consistent though.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use polyester rope bought from Poundland. I bought a few awhile back, all 8m long and obviously just £1 each. Takes a knot well and is easily re-usable especially for tarps.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use polyester rope bought from Poundland. I bought a few awhile back, all 8m long and obviously just £1 each. Takes a knot well and is easily re-usable especially for tarps.

Don't think this is going to be good enough for the O/P, he's got idea's of being a "designer bushcrafter " !.

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…..and let's be utterly honest, drying out natural ropes properly in our climate is a bit of a beggar to do. They go mildewy, they rot, they weigh a ton when sodden, and even tarred ones, while fine in a shed or a boatyard, can be a pain to deal with…..and I like rope and knot work :)

M

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a hilleberg tarp at the moment and the cordage that comes with it is "da bomb!".

It's got lots of flex, lots of grip, doesn't hold water and doesn't stretch. I likes it a lot.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Fair play if they work for you. I was just shocked to hear someone suggest using the blue poly rope as kindling and an old washing line as a ridge line. If wanting to upgrade my paracord to something more fancy makes me a designer bushcrafter, so be it, I'll bling it up in the woods and re-invent bushcraft glamping on another level :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE