Noisy Neighbours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Maybe he was trying to get the attention of a local lady to see what she thought of the possible new home, cool pic i'd swap you for my noisy neighbours anyday

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice picture that, woodpeckers are like hens teeth 'round here, would love to see more.
Cheers for posting up.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am trying to find this years nest site for the family of Greater Spotteds that I have been following for about 8 generations... no joy yet - but they tend to nest within 100yards of the birth site....
I have heard a lot of drumming in the woods but no excavation beats yet while a totally different family (or two) are audible from our house and visit our feeders.
Handsome fellows!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Woopdpeckers will raid nest boxes to take the chicks of things like blue tits. They should be regarded as a predator in this sense. They will hammer at the box to enlarge the hole in order to get at the chicks inside. A good neztbox has a metal plate around the entrance hole to prevent them from doing this.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woopdpeckers will raid nest boxes to take the chicks of things like blue tits. They should be regarded as a predator in this sense. They will hammer at the box to enlarge the hole in order to get at the chicks inside. A good neztbox has a metal plate around the entrance hole to prevent them from doing this.

And squirrels will raid Woodpecker nests to get their young as well!
Red in tooth and claw eh?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great to catch a photograph :D
I've been trying for weeks now to catch the woodpeckers on the bird feeders. They love the hanging fat block things, but they dart off like greased lightening with any movement at all.

There's one fighting off starlings just now from the block thing on the feeder in front of the living room window. Looks like a male from the red flash on the back of the neck.

I really need to nag about having a trail camera set up for that feeder.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

This one is a Robin box, so the woodpecker can get in now. I know its empty because I took it down and cleaned it last week :). I guess it just makes a good soundbox for the drum?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE