SInger 201k Sewing Machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I have the chance..first option from a charity shop, on a Singer 201K sewing machine. (Grey in colour)
Still to be PAT Tested so wont know until Saturday if the electrics are ok. I rolled the pulley wheel around a few times and it sounded a bit gritty to me, but then again i know nothing about sewing machines... I have a few questions.

What should i look for as far as wear and tear goes.? The Belt obviously will need looked at given the age.
The machine itself looks all original though i never got a chance to look at the Motor to see if it had been changed at some point.

It comes attached to a wooden table, machine fold down inside table. And what would you say is a fair price for one of these machines in working condition. ??

I bought a Singer just before Christmas but sold it to a Neighbour a few days ago as i've wanted a 201K for light leather work for a while now and two machines is one to many.

Cheers. S

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Firstly, you won't need to even think about wear and tear, it's extremely unlikely that anything important or expensive will be worn and the things that might be are cheap and readily available on the bay.

Rolling the pulley wheel around will tell you only one thing - that the machine moves; you don't really need to know any more than that, these things were so massively over-engineered that it's almost inconceivable that there's much wrong other than belts, rubber wheel and suchlike. Even the motor can be refurbished for very little cost, just a little time and effort; if you do a search of the forum there are many posts with great links for all sorts of information and sources for parts for these.

As for price, they can fetch up to £150 - 200 in good nick, but one from a charity shop I reckon no more than £50 should be about right, but I've seen them go for £30.

If somebody called me up and offered the machine you describe at £40 to me, I'd buy it then and there over the phone, so that should tell you plenty.........Even if it doesn't pass the PAT test I'd give that for it, get them to sell it to you as "spares or repair", then they're covered legally and you get a bargain :)

Let us know how you get on with buying it, eh?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Thanks Mac, From what i have read up on them yeah, they are pretty much bomb proof, I'll keep you informed on how it goes, I was thinking it would be a Bargain at £50 and as i said, it's reserved for me. Only Problem is getting it home as i dont have a car....Taxi!!! ;)

The one i bought before Christmas was a 457, got it for a tenner, sold it for £30. so quids in. it did more fancy stuff like zig zag but i really dont need anything like that.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've got two of these. They are brill! I use one as a source of spares for the other as some spares can be hard to find. If I saw one cheap I'd buy a third.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
The old ones are very well built so you will have no worries.
I have a 207K , all I did was buy a new V belt and changed the capacitor in the foot pedal, it runs like new.
Think I got mine for £45 from the bay site.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The capacitor was shot in the foot pedal on ours, I took it out and didn't replace it, it works properly now and there is no interference on the tv which is what they were fitted for originally I think

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Good man, that's great..........Just be warned, they're addictive :)
I'm sure they are, got a few Projects lined up. Only got into making stuff with material of late, but just punched holes and hand stitched so far. still satisfying though.

Not getting it picked up until Monday now...Mate's Car Broke down. My Main aim with it...A suede Or really soft leather kilt.

My Mum is/was a seamstress. We got talking today and she informs me she made a kilt for someone many years ago and that she would give me a hand with patterns, cutting of material. Show me how to chalk lines or something and Plait the back etc..or in other words i'll probably watch my Mum make a leather kilt....

Need to find a nice soft brown leather Sofa Carcass now....I have a friend who works in the Local Dump, he might just be getting a tinkle....

Still cant believe i got it for a tenner. :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Just a comment.

PAT testing is only going to tell you if an item is safe to use and only with regard to electrical safety, a device or machine could be dangerous to use in myriad other ways http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/puwer.htm ).

PAT testing is only one aspect of safe use ( http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm )

My main point here is that PAT testing has no bearing on how reliable or functional the device is.

rorymax
Man, you should apply for the Job of Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse :lmao: ... at a Tenner. what's to lose. ?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ok, Picked Machine up today, Surprised at how quiet it is though i have since found a few problems?

Definite problem is the Belt, it's worn so that will need replaced.
Another thing i,m not sure about is a slight rocking motion when you put the foot down. dont know if this is normal. The Motor belt wheel shaft has some movement in and out from the motor so that and the fact the belt is worn could be causing the rocking ..is this ok or is that a shaft bearing problem?...I worked in Engineering for 20 years, i,m just using my big Engineering head here. ?

Also. I can easily stop the flywheel/Motor from turning just with the weight of my hand. Does anyone think the motor might need a refurb or upgraded. i'm sure it's the original Motor..Matching Brown to the flywheel with silver Plate telling the specs, voltage etc.
The Foot controller appears to be original also.

Not tried material through it yet as the needle was broken, but i expect i would need more punch if i want to do heavier stuff like light leather and denim hems etc. Oh, and need a Bulb. got plenty thread in my Fly Tying boxes.

The Machine came well oiled and clean of lint, dust etc, so someone was looking after it...
The Serial Number dates back to 1957, Glasgow or Clydebank to be specific. Sadly no longer with us. :(

Anything i should check out before i use the machine as far as the service and quick check side goes? anywhere i should look for unnatural free movement of certain parts. or should i just load it up and see how she sews..?

I'll get a video of it up later. waiting on my son uploading and sending it. also add some pics. Not sure if the Boy had taken a pic or video of the foot controller though.

Cheers Stevie

Just got the Video through Email as i was editing, but got stumped how to add here...Help??

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
OK i was doing guys stuff with my sewing machine, you know, like taking it apart to figure out how it all works. Checking the nuts and bolts, oiling etc.

Anyway, got down to the Motor to check the overall condition and give the brushes a quick wipe down, everything looked nice and clean so put it back together.

Found this laying on the table afterwards. :confused:

It's a small flat piece of metal with a slight bend in the middle. cant figure out where the hell it came from, Anyone got any ideas. ??
It's stuck to the end of a screw driver in these pics.

Snapshot_20150115_2_zpsc7f628e5.jpg

Snapshot_20150115_zps3e10d373.jpg

The Motor is a original singer BRK 4-12 like the one Below.
IMAG0665.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE