Pillow Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
These 2 items are on my dream wishlist because they are so compact and light, they are pricey so I would have to wait see if one of my family wants to buy me a nice Xmas present :p

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/pillows-and-chairs/pillow-x.html
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/pillows-and-chairs/cush-seat-pillow.html

I cannot make up my mind which one would be best, the cush seat\pillow seems more versatile but is less compact and heavier.

If anyone has used either of these I would appreciate their comments, and if anyone knows where they can be had for the best price then that would be very helpful too.

rorymax

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Seems overkill to me. If I'm on the ground I just use a camping pillow from mountain warehouse, under a fiver I'm sure and small enough to stuff in somewhere in your pack, job done.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
This year I have been using the multimat superlite pillow, it's inflatable and rolls up very small.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I roll up a wooly jumper or such in to a tight compact cylinder and use that, less to carry, I do appreciate that some folks need a proper pillow to sleep though.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
That is crazy prices

I use one of these for my sleeping pillow except i only paid £1 for it inc delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFLATABL...velTickets_Accessories_RL&hash=item1e6e0da7f1

and one of these for making log seats a little more comfortable, again i paid £1 for it inc delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K1B-Foldi...Garden_Cushions_Throws_LE&hash=item3a997dc051

both as light a as fart and left my wallet the same weight it was before i purchased, take up next to no space in my kit either

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
If those Klymit are thought to be pricey, you'd baulk at my pillow set up - an medium Exped air pillow with a medium Thermarest down pillow on top - £60 of lightweight comfort.

In my defence I can't get a decent sleep unless I've got good pillows and I'd tried all the usual pillow solutions.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I am enjoying the comments that have been made, all valid.

Other than a hooded top (that I would normally wear in the evening and when sleeping) and changes of underwear and socks, I don't carry anything else that can be put in a stuff sack to make a pillow.

My son loaned me his Klymit V earlier this year, when I went to return it he said "you keep it pops,enjoy" (is that because I breathed into it :rolleyes:), I am very pleased to have it, it is really comfortable.

For cold weather sleeping I am using a £15.00 Czech army bag (weighs a ton and is bulky) I like space in a bag and I am a restless sleeper, to keep weight and bulk down I intend to leave the Klymit V stored underneath the blanket of the Czech bag and roll them both up together with minimal addition to bulk, hence the Klymit pillow idea, I can leave that inside the bag also.

OK, it is a bit extravagant for a pillow but overall it is not an expensive sleep system, free air bed and £15 bag and splash out on a reliable comfy pillow, I can have the cush\pillow delivered for £20.00 ( http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/klymit-cush.html?gclid=CJvZpvyHucECFYzHtAodnl0A2A ).

That's where I'm coming from, but as always I am open to suggestions, thanks all.

rorymax

Last edited:

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I've tried a number of pillows after using just a fleece wrapped in my sleeping bag hood as I never found it very comfy at all. Workable but not great.

Look at the Nemo Filo pillow. It's extremely comfortable and worth every penny. Packs up very small. It has memory foam as well as an inflatable side. Almost as good as my main pillows I use at home.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I purchased an Exped Air Pillow as part of a pillow set-up and for me and its the best thing I did to allow a good nights.

I know these pillows are not cheap and there are far cheaper alternatives but the have not previously worked for me. I am a large guy and sleep on myside, as such I need the support that the air pillow offers with some added comfort of a small stuff sack type pillow (filled with my fleese top before going to bed)

The Air pillow and stuff sack is wrapped up in my shemagh to keep them together. It may be over kill but it allows me to get a good nights sleep with out a bad neck in the morning.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
It may be my age, but I find a good pillow is the difference between an ok and a good nights sleep. I've tried the lot over the years - inflatable pillows of varying types, clothes in a stuff sac, taking pillows from home, even logs (apparently the Japanese like them)! The best by far is one that came free with my Wiggys sleeping bag - so much so that I often use it at home.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Being a side/belly sleeper i really need to have 2 pillows at home to sleep otherwise i wake up with a stiff neck.

For camping i've tried, thermarest pillow, exped pillow, exped pillow with a fleece outer, travel pillow and pillow i've found in outdoors shops.

Can't seem to get comfortable with any.

Problem is that my sleep mat is made out of a polyester type feel material, so after 10 mins my pillow slips off the mat.
I've tried strapping or clipping the pillow to the mat, but i tend to sleep with 1 arm under my pillow so can't get comfy like that.

Exped do a dry bag that also inflates their mats called the snoozle.
As i like to have clean dry clothes to sleep in i take off the clothes i've been hiking in all day and put then in the snoozle (if my clothing are wet or dirty i'll turn it inside out so as to keep the inside clean and dry), i then have a very small amount of air in it.
Result = really really large comfortable pillow.

The other good thing is, the snoozle is my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes dry bag for the day.

So it's a dry bag during the day, it's them used to inflate my sleeping mat and them used as a really comfortable pillow.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I'm drifting towards the Exped now, oh well, no hurry, I usually get it wrong anyway:eek:

I feel I'm going to go back to cheap Poundland type inflatables, after all, they worked just fine before and they weigh nothing-grams in the grand scheme of things.

That's just me, a Master of Indecision (and a bit of a dreamer):p

I found this if it is of interest to anyone, relatively cheap for UK prices (our friends over the Atlantic pay a heck of lot less).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klymit-In...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20eeadd205

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE