Warning: Avoid Amazon for SealSkinz Socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Hi guys. I have some info that might benefit some people

Not so long ago I thought I found a bargain with some SealSkinz (usually around £36 a pair) at just £19 on amazon.
They were dispatched and fulfilled by Amazon. But when I got them I noticed the merino wool liner socks were not 100% merino wool. So I emailed SealSkinz.

Turns our they are a family business based in Norfolk
Basically they said amazon are not a legitimate seller of their socks and they sent me a real pair of their socks.
The quality is shockingly different as you can see from the picture
SAM_0731.jpg

I have since recieved a full refund from amazon, and sent the fake socks to sealskinz to help their fraud investigations.

Hopefully letting you know will avoid someone else getting stung.

Lastly, The genuine sealskinz are unbelievable. Best socks you'll ever wear.
I went back and bought £200 worth but from their official website.

All the best
Chris

/Haha, I spelt sealskinz wrong on the picture >_<

Last edited:

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
Damn! I bought a pair from Amazon a few years ago and was really unimpressed with them, going to have to go through the sock drawer and see if I was similarly fleeced! In fact, just had a look and I have the fake ones too. Explains a lot.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Very sorry for your experiences. I couldn't believe that they felt like a tesco bag laced inside a primark sock, thats why I contacted them directly.

Their real socks guys... It's like walking in forcefields lined with angel hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the headsup, lots of fake sealskins gloves out there too on amazon and ebay, like the socks the real deal gloves are amazing pieces of kit and last well over a decade under constant heavy cycling use

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My Sealskinz are identical to the ones on the right and they came from an authorized seller listed on Sealskinz webpage.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Plus the logo on all the gloves on Evan's looks like the logo on the 'fake' amazon sock.

What is going on here?

I think there may be than one logo for the company as often happens. I have had a pair of Sealskinz which leaked right away and went straight back, it put me off the brand, but I suppose they could have been fake. I did give the company a second go and have a knee lenght pair, with a logo as per the fake, which I bought from Cotswold outdoor, I have had no problem with them leaking so I presume they are genuine.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
In the OP showing the 2 socks both logo's are genuine Sealskinz logo's, the one on the right is the old logo and was on any Sealskinz items i bought pre 2010, the logo on the left is on all newer made items. The difference between genuine and fake is in the quality of the item, if the item you bought is in anyway not 100% waterproof and fully breathable it is probably fake, over the years i returned 2 pairs of gloves bought on Ebay, one pair ripped internally as i pulled them on by the cuff tag as i went to try them on the very first time and the second left me with soaking wet cold hands after 90 minutes cycling in the rain, my oldest Sealskinz gloves are 11 years old and still fully waterproof and windproof even though the palms are nearly worn through where i grip the handlebars

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In the OP showing the 2 socks both logo's are genuine Sealskinz logo's, the one on the right is the old logo and was on any Sealskinz items i bought pre 2010, the logo on the left is on all newer made items. The difference between genuine and fake is in the quality of the item, if the item you bought is in anyway not 100% waterproof and fully breathable it is probably fake, over the years i returned 2 pairs of gloves bought on Ebay, one pair ripped internally as i pulled them on by the cuff tag as i went to try them on the very first time and the second left me with soaking wet cold hands after 90 minutes cycling in the rain, my oldest Sealskinz gloves are 11 years old and still fully waterproof and windproof even though the palms are nearly worn through where i grip the handlebars

I see.

Rather deceptive in the first post then.

How would you know that they're not breathable or waterproof without using them and also how would you know if they're not 100% merino wool by looking at them?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have no idea how TroubleTalent knew this i'd not have had a clue, i buy only from official retailers after my experiences with the fakes back in 2009 and if i had not been trying to replace a pair of gloves that had lasted through 7 years of extreme long term cycling abuse i'd have had no high expectations for the new Sealskinz i was trying to buy and would probably not have been aware that they were fake (i used to cycling 35 mile round trip to work 5 days a week and wear the same gloves every day and use them recreationally when cycling or wanting warm hands), it was only how shoddy they were in comparison that set my alarm bells ringing, i returned both sets of fake gloves and got full refunds even though i'd used them, i quoted the Sales of Goods and Services Act 1982 which states that items must be as described and fit for purpose, the fakes failed on both counts and i stated this when returning.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
They're still for sale on Amazon - I note a review that says they're fake (you?). What did Amazon say?

They took them off for a while, when you tried to purchase you were quoted the full normal price and the picture changed.
A red message said "This item has been recently identified as a counterfit, and is currently under investigation"

Then Sealskinz asked me to send the socks, so I did and then they told me they were definately counterfit and gave me a 25% off voucher for my work.
Then this is pretty much our conversation since then:

===============================
Hi Chris,

Once again thank you, we can filter this out to our Sales Team.

Kind Regards

Sealskinz Customer Services Team

Sent: 11 October 2014 17:11
To: UKCustomerServices
Subject: RE: [Web Orders] Enquiry from Chris

Again, the logo on these hats does not match your brand I believe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=484879067&pf_rd_i=typ01

All the best
Chris

To: []
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:14:55 +0000

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for this, we will set our Sales Team onto this for further investigation.

Kind Regards

Sealskinz Customer Services Team

Sent: 24 September 2014 14:54
To: UKCustomerServices

Hello again, I have found another counterfit.

I recognized the incorrect logo on the label, the same as the other counterfits I bought on amazon.

The website is called meanandgreen

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/SealSkinz/SealSkinz_Waterproof_Thin_Mid-calf_Socks/2450/2494.html

Hope this helps

All the best
Chris

===========================

If people want to argue with me, or have me answer to their experiences, frankly delete the thread please. Was just trying to help

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I knew there were not 100% merino, because I have half a brain.
I knew they are not waterproof because I have a bath, and scrupulously test equipment.

:headbang:

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Very sorry for your experiences. I couldn't believe that they felt like a tesco bag laced inside a primark sock, thats why I contacted them directly.

Their real socks guys... It's like walking in forcefields lined with angel hair.

Nice... &#55357;&#56860;

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like the fake socks were really poor, the fake gloves i bought were just gloves with an SS logo on, no attempt at fakery on the side of waterproofing ability

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE