pathfinder alcohol stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
I just ordered one after seeing this post.
I intend to use it with and store it inside a 750ml esbit titanium cup.
I also have the evernew dx titanium stove that is quite similar but I think this one will be good as you can store it with fuel in where as the evernew has to be burnt until it is empty.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
Yeah got mine had a play all seems good, well made takes 250ml of fuel to fill it. First impressions is it don't seem as hot as the trangia one. Slept out last night but didn't use it. Pine cones in my ikea hobo are free fuel

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
Yeah got mine had a play all seems good, well made takes 250ml of fuel to fill it. First impressions is it don't seem as hot as the trangia one. Slept out last night but didn't use it. Pine cones in my ikea hobo are free fuel

i watched some video reviews and thy said you almost have to break these type of burners in a little before they perform to their full potential.
my trangia burner is so old i can't even remember if that happened, i was only 5 or 6 when i first got it. but i did notice my ever new titanium burner worked noticeably better after a few burns compared to the first one.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Looks interesting. It may benefit from a little pre heating with a few drops of alcohol in a tray beneath it.
Think i may add one to the collection.

I ran a side by side test on my titanium evernew vs the trangia and the trangia won. Didn't ever use the evernew again but will have to try again by "running" it in and see the difference.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I reckon it will always take longer to bloom than a Trangia burner as the Pathfinder is made of stainless steel which conducts heat nothing like as well as the Trangia's brass. The Pf is also a much bigger lump to get hot, particularly when full. Other than as integral storage there's no advantage to such a huge reservoir; a full Trangia will bring a 1L pot to the boil and then simmer it for an hour+. Plenty for your average camp meal.

I think that perforated potstand/windshield will cause it to burn fuel more quickly, and doesn't lend itself to the use of a simmer ring.

Looks nice, though. :)

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
Looks interesting. It may benefit from a little pre heating with a few drops of alcohol in a tray beneath it.
Think i may add one to the collection.

I ran a side by side test on my titanium evernew vs the trangia and the trangia won. Didn't ever use the evernew again but will have to try again by "running" it in and see the difference.

I find the evernew is much more aggressive burn than the trangia. Especially in the little dx stove system. It has a huge strong flame. And it certainly boils a 750ml titanium cup very quickly. But it uses a noticeable amount more fuel. And the big downside is you have to let it burn dry.

I reckon it will always take longer to bloom than a Trangia burner as the Pathfinder is made of stainless steel which conducts heat nothing like as well as the Trangia's brass. The Pf is also a much bigger lump to get hot, particularly when full. Other than as integral storage there's no advantage to such a huge reservoir; a full Trangia will bring a 1L pot to the boil and then simmer it for an hour+. Plenty for your average camp meal.

I think that perforated potstand/windshield will cause it to burn fuel more quickly, and doesn't lend itself to the use of a simmer ring.

I'm getting it just to use as a hot drink factory. So it appeals as I can fill it with fuel and store it full and ready to go inside the titanium cup and not need to carry a separate fuel bottle.
For any real camping/cooking I'll stick with my trusty trangias.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm getting it just to use as a hot drink factory. So it appeals as I can fill it with fuel and store it full and ready to go inside the titanium cup and not need to carry a separate fuel bottle.
For any real camping/cooking I'll stick with my trusty trangias.

Fair dos. :)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK

i've recently bought a trangia set, one of the small ones, i think its a 27 ul. It only burns for about 30 mins before running out of fuel. Are the burners different sizes, have i got a small one? ( burner of course)

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
i've recently bought a trangia set, one of the small ones, i think its a 27 ul. It only burns for about 30 mins before running out of fuel. Are the burners different sizes, have i got a small one? ( burner of course)

Nope trangia burners are all the same size. It'll burn for longer if you use the summer ring. Otherwise at full burn about 30 min sounds normal.

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
well my pathfinder arrived today. did a couple of test burns in the house, and first impressions are i love it. it works perfectly with my esbit 750ml titanium cup. fits nicely inside and it's great that it holds enough fuel for easily a few days of hot drinks, so no extra fuel bottle required. the trangia simmer ring works ok, but can only be used pretty well closed. but thats fine for me as the only other thing id really cook on this set up is porridge which needs a good low simmer anyway.

ill be selling my ever new DX stove. the fact this one can be put out before the fuel burns dry makes it much better for my needs. the ever new DX is definitely a hotter and more aggressive burn, but the fuel consumption is way higher. id rather wait a couple minutes longer and use a lot less fuel.

its been a good week for me for new stoves. got myself a custom, straight from the factory Trangia 25 hard anodized with Duossal pots, and a set of Duossal pots and frying pan for my trangia 27 stove..

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Thats about right, the idea is you bring to the boil then use the simmer ring which increases burn time by around an hour.

Crunchiespg

Sep 22, 2014
Cochrane, AB, Canada
So a further update.
I've been using this stove in the house to give it a good test. Boiled multiple hot drinks, and just used it with a 23cm cast iron frying pan and it's the perfect temperature burn for that pan. I cooked some onions but it would be just right for bacon or any other medium heat frying job.
I must be well over 1.5 hours burn and barely used half the fuel.

It is a great stove. I'm very impressed. The perfect simple solution when I don't want to take a full trangia stove.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
I was just browsing when I came across this (oldish) thread. I only recently became aware of the Pathfinder alcohol stove and having watched a Youtube video, it struck me that the 120ml Tatonka alky stove was sized between the Trangia burner and the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder runs at around £30, the Tatonka around £6. OK, you have to use your own trivet with the Tatonka, but that's quite a price difference. I'm no fan of fierce alky burners: when the light conditions are just-so, you can see clouds of flame far way from the pot being heated, doing no good at all and wasting fuel like it was going out of fashion. A more moderate flame may not boil water quite so fast, but it does make actual cooking easier and conserves fuel. Before anybody else says it, yes, the Tatonka along with the Trangia, Esbit and Aloc burners have some reviews saying they leak. I've never had any actively drip fuel, but they all pong of meths, so I routinely use a poly bag to control the pong in my pack. More of a nuisance is the binding lid when I don't have enough grip to turn it without a silicone charity band around the lid!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE