what is the best cutlery option and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
My mrs thinks I am nuts but I use a wooden bowl, wooden plate, wooden cup (for the most part), wooden spork, if I need to use a knife I will pull out the bushcraft one.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
On the original question, I suppose it's a matter of personal choice. Me, I don't like sporks. I tend to hate things that are supposed to do more than one thing, eg. a phone that is also a camera - but then I'm old and crotchety. :)
I also don't like the clip-together sets of knife/fork/spoon - I find them awkward in the hand and they remind me of my days in the TA - which I loved - but the food was generally pizz-poor. For me, those little (generally) poorly made sets make everything taste worse than it should!
I bought a regular knife, fork and soup spoon from a kitchen shop, just made sure to pick the shortest one's I could find and that worked well for me. The one change I made was when I saw a French camper using an Opinel to eat so I replaced my knife with an Opinel No.6 which has the added advantage of being a good steak knife too. Just my personal choice.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wish,

P1050656.jpg

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a spoon from the draw, or a wooden on I carve... depends on how I feel.. to cut things I use a Svord.... :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I use a mixture of stuff depending on what I'm doing, so saying I tend to use a horn spoon most of the time, this is often coupled with an Opinel N0#8 and a fork. Have even been known to use the infamous and almost ubiquitous Spork. (Don't like Foons though!)
animal_horn_spoon_d.jpg
Horn Spoons

Did buy a mate a set of these reenactors cutlery, though he prefers to use a horn spoon too as opposed to the metal one and the set is a bit heavy. It does make every meal look like a medieval banquet though:eek:
OB2973-1000.jpg

It's down to choice and how you like to eat. We tend to eat well and I hate faffing about with pants cutlery. Though in so saying on winter expeditions when you had more time in a tent to kill I'd often eat with chopsticks as they padded the meal out a little longer, were easy to keep clean and are easily replaceable.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Thing is, I don't like that.
Its beautifully made and absolute art but the knife looks hopeless for spreading butter.

We bought some fancy cutlery a while ago for the house and the knives are a similar shape, we use the forks but now end up choosing the fake bone handle things we have had for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE