Czech army bed roll question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Can someone answer this conundrum, I've used my bed roll now for a couple of years now and tried several ways of folding it up, to work out what are those two straps do, one at each end when rolled up?

can someone help and I'll sleep nights.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I fold roll from the toes at the same breadth as the hood, tuck into the hood and then the big strap to pull it tight to fasten the buttons and then fold in half and do the side straps together making a ball of sorts if i am putting it in the bottom of my bergen, if i am hanging it on the outside at the bottom i don't do the last fold over and instead use the side straps to help anchor it to the bergen hanging points to minimise swing effect when walking

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I've just ordered one of these bedrolls. Bit of a spur of the moment thing, and didn't look for any detailed reviews. How do you rate them? Any opinion would be welcome. I also ordered a second blanket at the same time.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've spent a few nights in mine - I think it's good for three season use, a second blanket definitely helps when its chilly. It's big downside to me is its weight if carrying it on your back. With a vehicle, not so bad ;)
One other thing - I found a cool spot where the zip runs round, especially at the foot. So I ended up buttoning the inner blanket onto just one side to cover the zip on the lower third of the bag. Seems to help.
Cheers
Philly

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
2.5 kilo all in (with the standard 1 wool blanket and linen liner setup)

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Well mine arrived just in time for me to use it on an overnight at the Largs Viking festival. I used the outer with both blankets and the liner. It was under a DD 3MX3M tarp. well impressed. More than warm enough. It was a breezy night with the wind coming off the water too. Only let down is the bulk and weight of it, but then again I could easily use it like this and not worry about carrying a tent so it would pretty much even itself out.

iofiv

Aug 27, 2014
Lancashire
I use them to strap the ends of the roll down to a couple of conveniently placed D rings on each side of my backpack but don't know if that's what they're really for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE