new tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have been working on some new tools specifically designed for spooncarveres but the axe may be of interest for folk looking for a nice lightweight pack axe. I live near Sheffield which helps when developing new tools. The hook knives are laser cut there and rough ground, then I put the bend in and they go for professional heat treat (same place as Stu Mitchell uses) Then it's back to Brian Alcock the last full time self employed grinder in Sheffield and all round amazing guy. The beech handles are made in Sheffield then I put them together and do the final grind and hone.

10599239_10154699442765438_8071790088806658123_n.jpg

When trying to get a good axe made in the UK at a sensible price I struggled. Sadly there is nowhere left drop forging axe heads in the UK so the choice is hand forged heads from individual smiths or importing the drop forged heads. The imported heads are ground again by Brian in Sheffield. I made up prototype handles that are master for the copy lathe that makes the handles. I am really pleased with the result.

The photo shows a frost 106 the knife I use for most of my spooncarving for comparison.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I couldn't resist: my axe arrived today. It looks to be a good, well-made piece of kit and, for the price, is really good value. I particularly like the handle which will afford me really good control on carving tasks as well as being functional for bushcrafty jobs. I'm looking forward to giving it a bit of an outing next week. I'll give you my impressions, if that would be of interest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE