Anyone making watch straps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The last leather one I bought has just worn out. Frankly, the "genuine leather" was so thin I'm surprised it lasted this long

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
At the risk of blaspheming, have you thought about weaving a paracord one? Mine's lasted years of abuse and the faster clip makes it a doddle to remove when you're covered in cack!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Don't want a paracord one, but thanks for suggestion. Don't really want Velcro either. Just need to get hold of some suitable leather

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, it's for an Eco-Drive... I think I'll have a dig around and see what leather I have lying about first...

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I have a watch with a leather strap, I had to stop wearing it not because the strap wore out but because it stank to high heaven. It was like the hit you get when you open a really strong bag of salt and vinegar crisps. It truly was awful.

Is this because I am a particularly grimy individual or is there something that could be done to stop the honk?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's sweat and kept damp, not just washing and drying. My work watch strap stank like that. It was worn inside the wrist of my glove and I did six weeks in blazing sunshine one summer, digging/geophys on an enormous double henge on an exposed site.

Nothing I could do got the smell out either.
Get rid of the strap, buy and fit metal or plastic (the sweating is worse, but there's no stink after you take a nail brush and some Fairy to it).
The fabric and velcro Animal straps end up stinking too.
Paracord is a misery; it catches hold of dirt, dust, sweat, salt, it stays dampish and it chafes.

What do folks who work in the jungle type environments use ?

That's a very trim looking strap Toadflax :approve: matches the watch really well.

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://www.watchstrapstore.co.uk/ep...283/Products/NatoN.02/SubProducts/NatoN.02.24

I used to work in extreme temperatures, and perspire a lot under nomex clothing and leather gloves; these were the only straps that performed at all well. Just a rinse through now and then with mild soap, dry enough to wear in a few minutes, and because they thread through the back of the watch very easy to remove and re-fit without messing with pins.

Those who require sartorial elegance look elsewhere :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE