Not yet half past ten yet this heat is brutal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I first went to Florida (wearing a wool suit) I was amazed to see the condensation running down the outside of all the buildings. And in that suit I had to dodge from one air-conditioned space to another all day.

Coincidentally I'll be at Fairford next week. :)

I'd love to see Fairford again; you're a lucky man.

And next time you're in Florida, you'll know that a proper 3 piece suit here is:
1) shorts
2) t-shirt &
3) flip flops :)

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Toddy,

Can you set up a simple solar still with lots of tin foil and cook your jams that way? Maybe set it up on a frame which you can move round as the sun moves round?
Nice to be back xx

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spent the day installing new board walk in our SSSI site in Inverclyde. Midges weren't to bad but the clegs were something else! No transport access so everything was carried or wheelbarrowed down into the glen. Drenched in sweat abd sore before we even got started if it wasn't for the clegs I'd have been in in shorts! I love the heat!

Orric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Toddy,

Can you set up a simple solar still with lots of tin foil and cook your jams that way? Maybe set it up on a frame which you can move round as the sun moves round?
Nice to be back xx

Hello Stranger :) long time no see; I hope life's treating you well :D

Hadn't thought of a solar still.....well it's Scotland, y'know ? thon big yellow hot ball thingie isn't a usual feature of the sky.
Honestly George today was just too hot to think about clever ideas :eek:
I seperated the blackcurrants into Queens, pies, and jelly berries, and just froze them in bags. The rasps just keep coming, they're still setting out flowers, and we've had cranachan so often even I'm a bitty scunnered with toasted oats.
It's been a truly marvellous year for fruit; here's hoping that winter isn't a white out.

Orric, that truly sounds like hell. I know the beaton's jackets are good, but in this heat they'd have been a misery. Clegs...the reason why the de'il's called the lord of flies.

M

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
perfect temp down here in the SW, I reckon about low 20's. Was weird seeing the weather forecast and seeing the North getting all the seriously hot weather and us getting it a bit cooler. Not complaining though. Raining today, but as I planted out approx. 100 various brassicas yesterday, that's good. So far, at least down here in the SW, it's turning out to be the perfect summer. Plenty of sunshine without being too hot, some rain (though Monday's was insane). Lots of fruit on the trees, so hopefully will have a good apple harvest.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Goona be flesh frying today it is hot hot hot, i'll be keeping my big white butt in the shade

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........and I'm a happy egg today...it's about 18 in the garden just now :D and I've been out soaking everything with the hose.
Found a huge great frog in the front pond, hiding away underneath the meadowsweet :cool: I'm hoping he's hungry for slugs and snails, though he's probably gorging on the baby newts that are coming out of the water.

Heavily overcast and supposed to stay like that, but brighter again tomorrow according to the forecast.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was out for an early morning stroll around Forfar Loch early doors this morning, and either the thermometer in the garden is kaput or it really was 18 degrees here too that early. Saw loads of things and picked lots of nibbles. Coming to a thread near you in report form sometime soon.

Lovely day though back home now and it's been spitting rain and looks like a downpour is due. Still saves watering the plants!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Central Scotland's in a heatwave, and just in good time for the Commonwealth Games too :)

The roads are a snarl (they're using Strathclyde Loch for some of the events) and they're full of cyclists....it's not that our roads are bad, it's more that they're busy and kind of wind around a lot.

The heat is already too much for me out there, 32C in the garden just now and it's not even lunchtime.
I'd be happier at 20degrees less than that.

There's an encampment of pigeons on the front lawn, sprawled out on the grass trying to cool down since the roofs are roasting hot.

Can't say we haven't had a Summer though :D

M

Haggis

Nomad
It is 7º here this morning, and supposed to reach 25º during the hottest part of the day. That is plenty warm enough for me. All this talk of 40º-ish degree weather is convincing me that I'm where I should be in summer. Of course, it does get to -40º and much colder here in winter, but I wouldn't trade a few months at -40º for summer at 40º. I can always build the fire a bit hotter, but I can't take off enough clothing to get very cool in very hot weather.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm off up to the west coast tomorrow, how are you meant to protect yourself from mossies, midges, chiggers and ticks in a mankini? Cos that is what i'd have to be wearing if i want to stay cool in the prophesied heat i am gonna be suffering, i go north of the border to cool off someone needs to put the Scottish weather back, forcast for 24c at Arrochar on Saturday

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
32.8 just now :sigh:

The Romans commented on the Picts as working wonders in the morning and evening and shading their heads with their feet through the day......so get up early and hide from the heat midday and pray for a cool evening :D

It's a beautiful day, if you don't have to do anything in it :)

M

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I can't see Patrick's beachcomber course involving lots of relaxing out of the sun, if this keeps up it'll be sun awnings instead of waterproof tarps as the new Scottish bushcraft kit of choice?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE