Bushmoot Virgin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2014
High Wycombe
Afternoon,

I've just booked tickets for our first ever Bushmoot and although I'm excited, I could do with some feedback from people that are not newcomers to the moot.

I'll be going with my 7 year old daughter and although I'm used to a night under the stars in a hammock, she's never experienced. For that reason, I think it's sensible I bring a popup two man tent as well as the tarp, that way we can have some free space to cook etc but somewhere she can feel comfortable sleeping at night.

The question is, do I bring the hammock so she if she'll enjoy it or will people start glaring whilst thinking we're taking up too much space?

At the same time, are there any recommendations for "don't forget the...." or should I just treat it as a normal camp?

Thanks,
Abbos

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
There will be plenty of room to pitch your tent and hammock/s as you like, no one will be annoyed. Just treat it as a normal camp, anything forgotten can be picked up at the Tesco/ Lidl in Bridgend. Enjoy yourselves.

Welcome to the forum.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Erm...
Down at Dingly Dell us regulars take giant tarps - each - plus our communal tarp - which needs a map and compass to ensure we get from one side to the other - and still folk fail to find us ...
Space is not an issue if you are prepared to voyage a few minutes away from the car park ... the site is seriously HUGE!
If anyone thinks you are taking too much space then it is they who are pitched too close to you :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
We have no less then five tarps and even used a chute as a shelter along with a very large tent. Space is no problem!!! Take the Hammock, she will love it. Our little girl used her own last year and she was only three then! Take the tent as well though, good play zone if nothing else.

See you there!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Not only that but there will be a good number of kids her age running around who are used to the place, just don't worry too much if she ends up in someone elses camp for a meal or two, it becomes quite normal after a few days - I'm sure you'll both have an enjoyable time there.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Not going to be an issue from previous experience. My 3 kids will be Moot in a Hammock first timers and I will have back up tents too.

Don't be afraid to let her run wild with the inevitable pack of kids her own age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Erm...
Down at Dingly Dell us regulars take giant tarps - each - plus our communal tarp - which needs a map and compass to ensure we get from one side to the other - and still folk fail to find us ...

This is our communal tarp area for Dingly Dell :)

20130808_092134_zps95f7ba3a.jpg

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Bring a car full - it wont be a problem...

I must try and make it down to Dingy Dell this year. I keep on saying that but haven't managed so far!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Bring a car full - it wont be a problem...

I must try and make it down to Dingy Dell this year. I keep on saying that but haven't managed so far!

I'm one of those who've failed to find it. I'll be camping a lot closer this year though!

Apr 8, 2014
High Wycombe
Wow, lots of replies in such a short space of time, I don't get that on the landy forum :)

Thanks for all positive notes and the pictures. That tarp is huge! I now feel fully at ease to just pack the car full and just see what she likes and doesn't like.

Thanks all and see you there.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I took my daughter to the moot when she was 7, and after the first day didn't hardly see her unless she was wanting food. AS for taking up too much space, unless it's the big top you're taking I'm sure you'll find space enough. The Brady bunch find enough space for our nine adults and five kids.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm one of those who've failed to find it. I'll be camping a lot closer this year though!

No - no room, full to capacity, contagious diseases on site, uncontrolled animals of uncertain temper roam loose ... of course be our guest ... but beware - I snore! :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been looking for a pink tent surrounded by a certain bushcrafter, dressed in pink blowing bubbles with pink fairy wings.

probably where I've gone wrong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE