Axe mask without studs, buckles etc?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I'd like to make a mask for an axe I'm about to do a restore job on. I consider myself quite good at leather-craft, but don't have any studs or buckles etc. Can anyone show me a way to secure and release the mask without metalwork please?

Peter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Drop in style with a flap over the top. Punch a hole in the flap and loop a leather thong through it. Use the two ends to wrap around the axe shaft where it comes through the bottom of the pocket type mask.

cheers,
Toddy

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Thanks both. Toddy's suggestion sounds simplest - I was trying to work out how to do it with a tied thong, but for some reason I just couldn't picture it.

Peter

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I use these all the time. Basically a leather button.

shoe_toggles.jpg

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Cut a strap an inch wide 6 to12 inches long depending on your needs. Cut two parallel lines in the length of the strap at 1/3 and 2/3 across leaving about 3 inches long uncut. Discard the excess for another project.

Soak the wide part in cold water for a minute and roll it up tight. Pinch a chisel through the 3-4 rolled layers and slip the narrow end through the hole and pull tight. The button is done.

The button hole is just a hole and a slit or a "T" shaped cut

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE