Thinking of getting a bigger tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a larger tarp, for longer trips, but not too sure which size to get.

I currently have a 3x3 dd tarp, and am very happy with it, for short trips. I have a weeks trip coming up, with my Explorer Scout unit, and plan to hammock, but am certain that I will want a little more room and general admin space.

I've got three ideas in mind, but am not totally certain which will be the best for me. Whilst I appreciate that it comes down to personal preference, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I plan to stick with DD, as its what I know, and they are great tarps.

Option 1) Get a second 3x3 and create more cover/admin space that way
Option 2) Get the XL (4.5 x 3)
Option 3) Get the 4x4.

I can't decide if the 4x4 would be too big, and wonder if the XL would give me a bit more flexibility on configurations.

What do others do when hammocking for a bit more personal space?!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
A mate of mine uses the XL with the ends folded in to create doors on each end like a Warbonnet Superfly.

The tarp on the right of the pic is the XL. The other two are superflys.

image.jpg

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Useful pic, cheers!

I'm currently leaning toward the XL, thinking that pitched so that the ridge line runs along the 3M length, that gives me flexibility to create a nice covered space next to the hammock. Plus then it's only a case of turning it round to pitch as show with doors if required.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmmm, I went 4x4m over the XL myself. It gives all the great configuration options of the 3x3m but, obviously, with extra space.

A camping buddy of mine got the XL with the ability to make the doors in mind (as shown in Tartanferrets pic) but you'd be suprised how much more difficult it is to find those perfect tree's at 4.5/5m apart than it is for me with my Sargasso tarp at 3.6m.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Certainly gives a nice admin area Paul, is yours the one on the right?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yeas mate. my daughter was under the xl on the right. hence the mess and weird fitting of the uq. superfly on the left

Ah ok, I'd love a superfly one day.

Back to the subject of DD's though. The 4x4 does offer some 'unique' advantages... ;) (When your mate forgets his tarp)

002_zpsf49fcc5f.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The tenant on the top floor would need to take great care with their p bottle, methinks! :)

:D, I go for the 'Don't pee where you sleep' philosophy but certainly my 5 bean chilli was a poor choice that night. At least for the fellow under me...

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Some great pics there peeps, really handy to see them up and in use.

Re finding the trees 4.5-5M apart, the set up I have in my head, is that I'd pitch the XL with the short sid length on, eg down the 3M length. The would then give me 2.25M of tarp to play with for admin space. Make a bit more of a porch one side, and the other go straight down to the floor in the usual way. Hard to explain, and my efforts to sketch something in paint hasn't gone well either!!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Some great pics there peeps, really handy to see them up and in use.

Re finding the trees 4.5-5M apart, the set up I have in my head, is that I'd pitch the XL with the short sid length on, eg down the 3M length. The would then give me 2.25M of tarp to play with for admin space. Make a bit more of a porch one side, and the other go straight down to the floor in the usual way. Hard to explain, and my efforts to sketch something in paint hasn't gone well either!!

I get what you mean for pitching the XL. What sort of hammock do you have?

I'd be a little cautious of only having 3m of tarp above my hammock as in poor weather its not a lot of protection. I'd consider my TW Sargasso tarp (3.6m long) the minimum length for a hammock tarp.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I have a DD frontline, and have to say, not had an issue with weather under the 3x3 with it yet, and been out in some pretty wet weather. The reason I want the bigger tarp is simply for some room when I'm hammocking for the week.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
On my own Shewie, completely agree. I'm thinking more for when I take my explorer scouts away. The cooking, eating, general social area will be a separate shelter completely, and my hammock set up is my own private place of escape and peace!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My advice would be to sell your tarp, take the money from the second DD and buy a warbonnet superfly.

It's a superb shelter and pitches so nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE