Medieval style boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
My girlfriend asked me to make her a pair of medieval style hunting boots, the ones that they show in the illuminations that come up to the knee. Well I decided to do medieval uppers and a more modern sole so instead of turn shoe type I sewed in a welt an put two layers of good thick 6 oz leather on the soles and then added gel cushion insoles. If mama ain't happy, no one is happy. I will see how she gets on with them before deciding if I will put modern Vibram soles on them next. I also used thicker leather than was used in period. The result is a pair of boots that will last a lifetime.

1625546_10151855663290044_1851156971_n.jpg

The finish is a coat of Fiebings chocolate and British tan on the lace holes. All in all I sort of like the two tone look but it is still a bit dodgy so I will likely hit it with something to smooth it out once she breaks them in. My personal reenactment boots are left natural.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
they look brill. impressive leatherworking skills.

I wonder, if you add thick modern soles will she have problems with the boot not bending with her foot and the lack of heel-cup?

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
they look brill. impressive leatherworking skills.

I wonder, if you add thick modern soles will she have problems with the boot not bending with her foot and the lack of heel-cup?

To break them in I make people soak them in cold water and wear them until they are dry. By the end of that they conform and bend in all the right places. I like a bit of reinforcement at the heel too but you know those reenactment authenticity police are everywhere...

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Urine....seriously, its what German soldiers did in WW2 to soften their leather boots!

Depends on what kind of urine and what whoever produced it was eating and drinking. Cat urine has something in it that makes leather hard and brittle so you shoot the damn cat with a .22 and start over. Urine was used in tanning to assist in removing hair from hides and is still used in some places to this day to assist in softening however neatsfoot oil does a better job without the residue urine smell. Neetsfoot oil does however rot linen stitches so I typically use artificial sinew which it does not effect.

If you do use your own urine for this kind of thing however, do not use it after eating asparagus. If you doubt me... go have some for a meal, wait 2 hours and go have a leak. You do not want your boots smelling like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE