Log Bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I have to agree with everyone else here, that's a really special piece. The metal complements the wood nicely and vice-verse.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about stripping all the bark off the log? Draw-knife, or something else?

Three years ago when the tree came down I knew virtually nothing about working with wood, including how long you should season it before properly working on it. I left it about a month before my eagerness took over and I stripped the bark and got it cut in half. I had nowhere to store it other than the house (although now I would have just covered it with a tarp and had it off the actual floor if having to leave it outside - I now have outside storage but hindsight and all that). Anyway, the wood dried out a little too quickly and did split a little. Luckily not much but I may have been lucky.

I'm pretty sure that I used a thin paint scraper to take the bark off. Most of it came of very easily but I suspect that was due to it still being wet!

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Really appreciate the comments folks. Although this is a very personal piece of furniture and like anything else you choose to put in your home you don't require anyone else to like it, it makes it even more special when people give positive feedback :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE