Where should I store my axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi :)

I was lucky enough to get a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe for christmas this year and I would like to make sure it lasts as long as possible.

I will use boiled linseed oil on the helve, and gun oil on the head, but I am not sure about where to store it when not in use (indoors or in the shed). I know that they should be kept away from strong heat sources and I read on Wetherlings page that they are best stored somewhere where it wont get wet, in a temperature range of 5 - 20 degrees. We don't use heating in the house other than the fireplace in the living room so the bedroom should be fine for that.

My one concern is that I also read somewhere that storing an axe indoors will cause the helve to dry out and be ruined (due to the low humidity perhaps?). I can't really see this happening considering I will be applying oil to the helve, but I would just like to be 100% sure!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I store my axes inside and in the 4 years I've had my SFA I've not seen any sign of it drying out so you should be fine :)

One thing you ought to consider before you oil the handle is stripping the varnish that's been applied. Just use a stanley knife razor blade and scrape it off then use some wire wool to finish it off. Then apply your oil once a day for a week etc etc etc :)

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Maybe I am a bit weird, but I just chuck mine in the back of my truck, sharpen it when it needs it, but that's it, it's just a tool, I certainly ain't going to store it in a temperature stabilised room, but each to their own. I have had mine about 6 years and it is still fine but saying that, I suppose that temperature range is pretty much the average for being inside my truck :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, mine's under the pine chest of drawers in the kitchen :eek:

Well, it's handy there; I know where it is, it's not going to come to any grief or cause anyone any grief, I just need to mind not to whack it with the hoover hose when I do the kitchen carpet :)

Come to think on it the machete and the laplander saw are under there too just now.

cheers,
Toddy

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I keep mine indoors in a wooden chest with other sharps and general outdoor kit. One thing to consider before applying any finish to the is that it probably doesn't need it. I've had my Gransfors for years and it has never needed any special treatment. It gets semi regular use to regular use depending on the time of year and is holding up perfectly without any finish other than how it came from the factory and a regular touch up on the stone. Might save you some work.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I used to store my (husquvana) axe in the attic but unfortunatly it dissapeared during a house move. (I have an idea where it may be but if im right it has become and unwitting dontation to my old scout group)

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I keep my SFA and wildlife hatchet in the loft, that way they're out of the warm house below in a dry environment. I add linseed oil to the helge and gun oil to the head very rarely and have never had problems with them. If I know I won't be using my axes for a long period of time, say a few months, I oil them before storing them away.. Don't get into too much of an OCD routine with them, just have common sense,, ATB, Lewis

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a Plumb hatchet in the closet with my pack and other camping gear. It's been in one closet or another (when not in use) for a bit over 40 years now; in various differing climates around the world. No oil on the handle or any other part.

When i was still logging, we just kept any axes on the back of the truck. On the farm it was in the shed. None of them ever suffered.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Mine (roselli all round) is nomadic, it is sometimes in the firewood bsket, sometimes in my wardrobe, or in the indoor carving shed, sometimes left outside in the outdoor carving shed. But it can suffer with condensation out there sometimes (tons of fresh cut logs in there) But any way it is used so frequently it never gets the chance to go rusty. When I made the handle for it it was soaked in linseed oil stain for a week. Its as solid as the day the handle was made
here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52763&highlight=roselli+rehandle

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just had a look for mine, it's nowhere to be seen, quick phonecall to my better half and apparently it's on a gardening job in town.

The question is do I get angry or do I take her Cegga out for a play?.........playtime :)

There's lots of axes in my house/shed, some mine, some Gemmas, we're not precious about them but the ones that matter more to us tend to live in the house. That said, I've never had any problem with any of the "shed axes" that I think has been caused by the way they're stored.

Cheers,

Stuart.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Why not in the sheath?

Over time* some of the chemicals used in tanning leather can cause corrosion ~ same goes for knives.

Dry the tool, oil / wax the relevant bit(s) if you so wish, protect any sharp and / or pointy bits, put away safely.

* ie long term ... months ... perhaps, even, years ... don't panic if you've not taken it out for a good while, it's only cosmetic and leaving it in won't make your bum fall off ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ehm, mine's under the pine chest of drawers in the kitchen :eek:

Well, it's handy there; I know where it is, it's not going to come to any grief or cause anyone any grief, I just need to mind not to whack it with the hoover hose when I do the kitchen carpet :)

Come to think on it the machete and the laplander saw are under there to

cheers,
Toddy

Carpet in the kitchen? There's posh! :).........................BTW, what's a "hoover"?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE