How much to charge for antler?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
In the near future, I may have great amounts of reindeer and some moose antler on my hands. And I will probably sell most of it. How much would it be reasonable to charge for it? Is it sold by weight? Would it pay off to cut it up and sell the sections individually? Most of it I expect will be felled antlers, but a fair portion may be antlers attached to a piece of skull. Should I quarter those up or leave them as they are?

Remember, this is not an offer and I will not take any orders. I don't have the antler yet. If or when I get it I will contact the administrators and ask if I may offer it to you.

Torjus Gaaren

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Most places that sell antler for craft work sell it by the weight. Some people may want the antler whole.... or in pairs.... others will just want off cuts for small projects.

To sell them here you will need to be a full member (£15 per year donation) to use the members classified forum, or you may use the swap shop without being a full member and trade/swap them for items that people have. Feel free to contact me when you have the antler and we'll talk about what you want to do with it here.

Whatever you decide, its a great resource for the members here.

:D
Ed

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
torjusg said:
In the near future, I may have great amounts of reindeer and some moose antler on my hands. And I will probably sell most of it. How much would it be reasonable to charge for it? Is it sold by weight? Would it pay off to cut it up and sell the sections individually? Most of it I expect will be felled antlers, but a fair portion may be antlers attached to a piece of skull. Should I quarter those up or leave them as they are?

Remember, this is not an offer and I will not take any orders. I don't have the antler yet. If or when I get it I will contact the administrators and ask if I may offer it to you.

Torjus Gaaren

Check around. If they are of any size - sell the whole antler (both sides). Check on mounts. I've been amazed at what doctors and lawyers (who never had a gun in their hand) will pay for a decent mount - hundreds - even thousands of dollars. I had an offer of $1000 for one of my 14 point non typical mounts (very simple mount - two antlers screwed from the back onto a oak plaque). I didn't sell. Something about the whole thing turns me off. What's the point of a hunting trophy if you weren't involved in the hunt? These people are nuts!

PG

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
pierre girard said:
Check around. If they are of any size - sell the whole antler (both sides). Check on mounts. I've been amazed at what doctors and lawyers (who never had a gun in their hand) will pay for a decent mount - hundreds - even thousands of dollars. I had an offer of $1000 for one of my 14 point non typical mounts (very simple mount - two antlers screwed from the back onto a oak plaque). I didn't sell. Something about the whole thing turns me off. What's the point of a hunting trophy if you weren't involved in the hunt? These people are nuts!

PG

Thanks, folks.

Pierre, any places you know of where I can get a hint of the market price?
I have never understood those people either. Probably has too much money. :D

Torjus Gaaren

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've sold a little before - you may want to split it into quality categories, as some antler is useless for carving or any use apart from stuck on the wall as a trophy. People seem to be quite picky about it! ;) With good reason though I think. You could also cut knife handle discs out and sell those individually :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE