Pruning cut method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Seasoned wood can be a bugger to work, but I find the slower carving allows for a better finished article. Particularly with spoons, bowls and stuff, the fully seasoned plumb spoons I have made are great and 'over carving' didn't happen. Working with the fresh hazel was refreshingly easy, and as I almost never take from living trees to use them fresh I felt like it would have been easy to over carve. By over carving I mean the wood being soft enough for you to accidentally take away too much, something that I have don't in the past that induced a fair ammount of rage! ;)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Seasoned wood can be a bugger to work, but I find the slower carving allows for a better finished article. Particularly with spoons, bowls and stuff, the fully seasoned plumb spoons I have made are great and 'over carving' didn't happen. Working with the fresh hazel was refreshingly easy, and as I almost never take from living trees to use them fresh I felt like it would have been easy to over carve. By over carving I mean the wood being soft enough for you to accidentally take away too much, something that I have don't in the past that induced a fair ammount of rage! ;)
I fear it being a struggle to carve this birch log, so I might still try to find greenwood instead. I want woodcarving to be a pleasant experience.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I fear it being a struggle to carve this birch log, so I might still try to find greenwood instead. I want woodcarving to be a pleasant experience.

The first spoon I made was out of a year and a half old bit of pine, spoon was rubbish, I still had fun :)!
I try to use green wood but for some light hearted whittling, I'll use anything ;).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
And satisfying too :).
Have a bash with the dry birch log, if I doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world, you can always try again :)
As the saying goes "if at first you don't succeed...

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

It's only a struggle if you have a blunt knife! ;)

The difference between the two stages of the same wood i.e fresh green and seasoned is obvious, but not something that will stop an able bodied person getting it done. Seasoned, twisted plumb is just about the hardest wood to work I can find in my pile and while it is a git to get started, once you have the majority of meat off it's not really that big a deal.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Just to add, some trees don't have a clearly defined branch collar so you need to cut as if mirroring the branch bark ridge.

Also dont forget to properly clean (i.e sterilise) your saw blade (or bar and chain) if you have been pruning a suspected diseased limb - loads of tree pathogens out there that can spread from saws.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
THOaken, send me your mailing address and i'll courier you a box of fresh cut, Hazel, Sycamore, Birch & Willow, might be a week or so, as they are coming from a job im starting up at my lakes in a little while, that way you wont have to worry about the cuts or damaging the trees as i would have done it for you.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
THOaken, send me your mailing address and i'll courier you a box of fresh cut, Hazel, Sycamore, Birch & Willow, might be a week or so, as they are coming from a job im starting up at my lakes in a little while, that way you wont have to worry about the cuts or damaging the trees as i would have done it for you.
That is an incredible offer, my friend. I can use those after experimenting with the seasoned birch. That is very much appreciated.

The generosity of this forum is astounding. I am reminded of the excellent craftsmanship of Hamish and the generosity of SWright and his birch delivery.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

Excellent offer, a true gent!

THOaken, you're a lucky man!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's a truly good abode this place.
:grouphug:

There has to be pictures now THOaken, or as they say here "...it didn't happen without pictures..."

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
Howdy. I have also been tough the second cut (web link). But I was thought to space the cut 1 and cut 2 out the width of the branch. And it works. Any 1 else do this.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE