Polski Lavvu Tent Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
One of the complaints about the Polish Lavvu tents is that there isn't much room in them. I would concur; at 6'6" I could not stretch out comfortably in mine without touching the canopy at some point. One way of increasing the available space is to set the two shelter-halves a little apart and cover the gap with a tarp. I was asked earlier in the year if I could make a more permanent job of such a set-up. This is what I have done ...

ends_middle_zps102039ac.jpg

I set up a goalpost arrangement between the two halves;

Ends_poling_zpsf5ab29e9.jpg

and rigged a canopy over the ridge and joined it to the halves with zips on one side and Dutch lacing;

one_side_dutchlacing_zpsbd245581.jpg

Practical use will decide which is the better option.
The ridge pole is accomodated in a velcro-ed sleeve which keeps the canopy in place if one (or both) sides are poled up;

Velcro_ridge_sleeve_zps4acc87c6.jpg

The light coloured canvas was used intentionally to admit light to the tent interior when the tent is closed up.

I will be posting more pics later.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Very good I can see a few more ideas to make quite a versatile car camping shelter using a tarp
If only those things were a bit lighter i would snap one up

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks like a practical and usable mod. there; I really like the use of the light-coloured canvas to lighten things up inside. Great stuff! What do you reckon that set-up weighs, Ian?..................atb mac

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for your comments, gentlemen.

Mac, The weights are as follows;

2 shelter halves 1.5kg each.......... 3000g
Middle canvas ............................ 1900g
12 steel pegs ............................ 500g
2 steel uprights 680g each .......... 1360g
X-bar ...................................... 600g
Total ....................................... 7360g

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks Ian - not as heavy as I thought; certainly an option for the car camping trips............Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................atb mac

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you, Mary. :)

Mac, I used steel poling & pegs because that's what I had to hand, but using alu poles & pegs could knock a kilo or more off the weight (unfortunately, walking poles aren't long enough for the uprights). Using lighter fabric for the midsection could save a substantial amount too, but a canvas midsection was in my remit.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That looks great ^^ and always nice to hear the reason behind certain decision.
It is often forgotten, and I always love to hear all those detailed little decisions that make or break a design.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Funnly enough I was talking about doing just that last weekend at the Suffolk meet.. now I seen it I like it,

Thank you, nice work mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE