Dead moles in the garden...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Over the last few weeks i've been finding dead adult moles in my garden. There are no mole hils in the area and the moles show no signs of predation. What's the story?:confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea - but if you find out what's killing them I'd be fascinated - I could do with one myself! Its a heck of a year for moles and its rare I get to put the traps away!

Snakes, raptors, cats and dogs all kill moles. I have seen a couple on the surface recently (probably crossing roads or high water table as a cause)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Something must have forced them to the surface, as BR said it could be the volume of water but even so if theres no sign of injury then whats killed em and why in your garden. You havn't fell out with someone whos catching them and dumping them have you. Weasels, stouts and owls get them but i would have thought there would be signs left on the mole, mmmmm strange one. Do they come out to fight over females etc?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Skin 'em, only about thirty needed for the best smock you'll ever wear!..........................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Many, many moons ago I made a smock from moleskins, a bit like a fisherman's smock with long sleeves and round neck and as far as I can remember I used about 30 of them - by the time I trimmed 'em to a decent edge and a fairly uniform shape there ain't much area to each one............I remember it being a long and very smelly job involving much salt and allum amongst other stuff, and a hell of a lot of scraping, stretching and drying. When I had it finished and was pleased and proud of it, my then GF decided to run off to the States with my "best friend" and took it with her...........never saw any of the three again!.....atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You've got it in one, BR...............But the fond memory of the smock is probably far more pleasing than the actual garment ever was!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
coincidentally during a recent walk through forest i came across three dead moles in one day seemingly unharmed and just lying dead on the surface, they were far from each other, it was during the recent dry hot spell when the ground was baked hard, i wondered if they had perished through starvation as worms/food would have been harder to find or maybe through dehydration through lack of water in the hard ground, couldn't help thinking the hard dry ground played a part, don't know just a thought.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
another vote for cat predation. one of my cats catches moles i think he sits by an air hole or somesuch and grabs them as they emerge? never eats them and they are often dead but unmarked. cats dont eat shrews either althought they will catch them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE