Doesn't look like cherry leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found this small tree on my walk, seemed to be growing fruits but the leaves are smooth whereas every cherry I've seen has serrated edges to the leaves

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
The best laxative you will ever find x2 berries added to a cup of coffee and it will cure constipation a treat don't eat them off the tree without a good supply of toilet roll they give you bad guts real quick :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's Alder Buckthorn, as the leaves are alternate along the stem. Ordinary buckthorn (also known as purging buckthorn :rolleyes:) has leaves in opposite pairs along the stem. Buckthorn also has very finely toothed leaves, whereas alder buckthorn is untoothed.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
That's Alder Buckthorn, as the leaves are alternate along the stem. Ordinary buckthorn (also known as purging buckthorn :rolleyes:) has leaves in opposite pairs along the stem. Buckthorn also has very finely toothed leaves, whereas alder buckthorn is untoothed.

What you call purging buckthorn is that what I'm familiar with as sea buckthorn ? Or is that different all together

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What you call purging buckthorn is that what I'm familiar with as sea buckthorn ? Or is that different all together

Sea Buckthorn has totally different leaves - Sea Buckthorn have small thin leaves that look like needles from a distance. Different genus altogether I think.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Buckthorn Family (Rhamnaceae):
Buckthorn (aka purging buckthorn) - Rhamnus catharticus (isn't that a great specific name? :) )
Alder buckthorn - Frangula alnus

Oleaster Family (Elaeagnaceae):
Sea buckthorn - Hippophae rhamnoides

So sea buckthorn is not especially closely related to the other buckthorns, at least according to my reference book.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Buckthorn Family (Rhamnaceae):
Buckthorn (aka purging buckthorn) - Rhamnus catharticus (isn't that a great specific name? :) )
Alder buckthorn - Frangula alnus

Oleaster Family (Elaeagnaceae):
Sea buckthorn - Hippophae rhamnoides

So sea buckthorn is not especially closely related to the other buckthorns, at least according to my reference book.

Thankyou I was aware of alder buckthorn and sea buckthorn but not common buckthorn in fact I thought buckthorn was a generalisation of a group of trees - shrubs thankyou I've learnt something :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE