Flint touble - NEED HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi there crowd! :)

We have a little trouble here. Mr. ADz-1983 ordered a firelighting kit from me and is going on a trip in 3 days time. The kit he recieved contains flint that is NO GOOD (shame on me as I did not checked it properly) so the kit he has is NO GOOD to use on his trip. So I ask you kindly, whoever has some flint and can send it out today please respond as it's the only way to replace it by the time of the trip. It would never be there on time if I'd send it. Please PM ADz-1983 for details. Greatly appreciated! Andy

P.S. Sorry Adam! :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How is the flint " no good"? All flint will throw sparks, some a little better than others. What colour is it?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
How is the flint " no good"? All flint will throw sparks, some a little better than others. What colour is it?

I have had problems with the light grey flint myself throwing few sparks, I have never had any trouble with the darker or brown flints though

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have had problems with the light grey flint myself throwing few sparks, I have never had any trouble with the darker or brown flints though

Yeah the lighter stuff is poorer for sparks, it still works though....kinda :)

Fair enough mate. I've got a cellar full of black flint, about 100kg of the stuff. Send me your addy and tell me how much you want and i'll sort something for ya. :)

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
excuse my lack of education on the subject but is flint really so hard to find ?
While digging my garden recently it was everywhere .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
excuse my lack of education on the subject but is flint really so hard to find ?

Like most things it is Location, Location, Location! - if you are in an area that has a chalk geology then flint is easy to obtain - if you aint it aint!
There is no flint around me - but if you want top quality slate it is all over the place here :) You got any of that in Basingstoke?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It is in the mid to northern parts of the country, apart from a few costal areas. We don't have chalk bedrock up here.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Well then I shall get my boys gathering as much as they can find to bring to the moot for you guys . And if ADz-1983 hasn't found any I will happily post some to you .?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Thanks guys for your quick response! You're the best like always. It was only by a chance I found out that flint is no good. One of my friends has asked me to show him how to light a fire and I couldn't! With my own kit... How sad was that!! ???? :D :D
Hope it all works out for you Dave and you have more luck then me :D :D
And again, thanks to you guys, I owe you.
Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I promissed myself that I'll go this year, but then later on I promissed my girlfriend that I'll marry her... on the same date. :D So see you all next year :D I can take pictures though.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
As the Right Honnourable John Fenna said, finding good flint is a problem. The UK has some of the worlds best but it's not wide spread in the north west an east anyway. Liverpool an most of the surrounding area has next to non so I have to find what I need online or when on my travels.

if anyone has a reguar supply please let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE