My first knife and sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Here is my first knife and sheath. I bought the blank from Chris at English Handmade Knives at the Wilderness Gathering over two years ago as well as the hardware and wood {Ambonia Burl} for the scales. Then spent several evenings sitting on the front step sanding and carving until it felt good in my hand. Used it for a few seasons in the sheath I bought from Chris. Then last year at the Gathering I perchased some leather at the gathering {I guess you may gather I go every year} and some leatherworking tools. I finally got around to starting the sheath after Christmas and finished it a few months ago. Took the pictures before I went on holiday. Hope you like them. I still need to finish the fire steel and buy a stone a DC3 to finish it. Please let me know what you think I could do to improve it. I still have enough leather to make some other things as they come to mind and I find the time. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks
James
Florida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 001.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 002.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 003.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 004.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 005.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 006.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 007.jpgFlorida 2013-Kennedy Space Center 008.jpg

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
No no no! You've done it all wrong! Your first knife is supposed to be wonky and ugly made from the wrong steel. And the sheath should be so embarrassing that you don't even admit to making one!
Now how are you going to improve on that?
Seriously, I am in awe.

Z

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
No no no! You've done it all wrong! Your first knife is supposed to be wonky and ugly made from the wrong steel. And the sheath should be so embarrassing that you don't even admit to making one!
Now how are you going to improve on that?
Seriously, I am in awe.

Z

Yup wot 'e said.

As has been said in other threads about these blindingly good first knives - "I think I'll just sell my grinder". Cos there's no way I can compete with that. Really superb work mate. With all that brass and leather the sheath reminds of a Steampunk creation. Well bloody done!

As for suggestions to improve it or add to it. I can't think of anything, it looks complete as is.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
You could always give the first Attempt to me and make the second attempt for yourself .
Top work bud well done .now for my address !!!!!!!

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Thanks guys. I really enjoy your comments. And allthough I do more lurking than commenting I sit here in awe looking at the all the projects that come from so many talented people in this community.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE