Polish Lavvu tips please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
About to stick mine up in the garden for a look see 9 (only had it 18 months, stuck in in my cabin and forgot about it! )
Any tips from those in the know about putting these babies up
Or simple mods?
Interested in your thoughts.
Cheers cats.:)

C.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Its up, and looking good.
Question.
The buttons for the arm holes go on the inside yes?
(If they are on the outside, then the "pocket" at the apex for the pole is on the outside and thus cannot be used, correct?)
How do you stop the rain from running down the slash in the center of the arm holes and into the lavvu??
Thanks!

C.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Gave it a good soak with the hose, maybe tighten up the weave?
Wets out in a few places, hmm, we will see, think I may leave it up for a day or two.
if I am going to use it I may oil cloth it.
( talking to myself here!! )

skids

Oct 19, 2012
Gloucestershire
Make sure the extra material around the shoulder area is on the out side. Most will need a re-seal before use, just to make sure it won't leak.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Don't talk to yourself Chris! I have one and like you have not used it in anger. I was at the Bushcraft Show the other weekend and got talking to a guy from Military Mart where there was one pitched. He said they should be put up inside out to stop water coming in through the arm holes but also said most people don't do that. Confused? So am I.

How did it fare in your hosepipe test?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
ah, 2009, the year of the Polish Lavvu:

polishtentsetups.jpg

Them were the days.....

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
It is skids!
That leaves the rain channel in the arm sections!
Hey tl, thanks for getting back to me.
There is alot I like about it but I am a little confused.
Inside out ( was his ?) will not work because the 'sleave' end at the apex ( for the pole to fit in ) is only on one side.
Hose pipe test showed pretty good water repellancy.
I am thinking of oil clothing the canvas with boiled linseed oil.
I shall leave it out for a couple of days, see how in fares after some sunshine and heavy dew.

Cheers fellas.

Chris.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
a couple of tips, to get more room ditch the central pole and either use a cord attached to the middle a string it up over a branch, or use four poles ( either wood or the extable washing line poles) and put them on the insode or out to make a frame and peg the other 4 points put gives you loads of room then.

If you look at the pocket it should have the lower on (inside the bottom layer) it used to house the central pole if you use it.

hope that helps, any other questions just ask i'll try me best

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
a couple of tips, to get more room ditch the central pole and either use a cord attached to the middle a string it up over a branch, or use four poles ( either wood or the extable washing line poles) and put them on the insode or out to make a frame and peg the other 4 points put gives you loads of room then.

If you look at the pocket it should have the lower on (inside the bottom layer) it used to house the central pole if you use it.

hope that helps, any other questions just ask i'll try me best

I have those mods in mind, thanks for that Pete!
What did you do about the rain ingress at the arm holes?
Hope you are well mate, see you the WG?
Best.

Cat.

Jun 3, 2013
England
The buttons on the arm holes should be on the outside and the flaps that go over the shoulders on the inside. The pockets for the pole then nest one on top of the other - took me a while to sus it out but looked at loads of photos and that does seem to be the best fit.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
For the arm ingress I have not had a problem, sensible sitting with wind effect is a thing the best way to stop it, I also use a small stick to keep it open and provide good ventilation.

I did treat my shelter to a waterproof treatment of nikwax and fabsil and did not have a problem with water ingress at all, but I do tend to try and protect it as much as possible using a tarp for a porch area out in front of it for an admin area certainly helps protect it as well

Yes looking forward to gathering this year, I may even camp this year as well.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I erect mine with an A-frame - gives much more room inside. I have the sleeves facing inwards too

Haven't had a problem from water ingress and it's been out in pretty foul weather...

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Hi ,
Does anyone have a picture of how the very top pieces overlap and the modified pole situation they could post please ?
I have one of these but haven't put it up yet !
cheers
pumbaa

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
pumba,
There is a sewn in 'pocket' at the apex of the shelter halfs ( which you will have buttoned together )
The top pole end sits in the pocket at what will be the top, high point of your Lavvu.
That in turn goes in the other pocket that is now alongside it as they are now buttoned up close to each other.
That make sense?

Best.

chris.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
If you don't use the laavu half as a poncho coat you could always sew the armholes up. I've used the Laavu with an ipk groundsheet a few times, I never remember which way is 'right' but never had the holes leak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE