Book binding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Leather I got
Tools...Check

Paper.....Need to get some nice paper

I'm so happy we're doing this.... I'll say thanks now in case I get carried away

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Can we do a head count of how many of you are going to have a go at this, its interesting to know the audience size as bookbinding usually gets so lttle discussion in the big wide world.

Sandsnakes

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Bookbinding tutorial 2

The BCUK pocket ledger

Binders proverb

‘A hour in the press is worth a week under the hammer’

IMPORTANT LOOK AT IMAGES BEFORE YOU DO THIS

Terminology

The top edge of the book is called the head.
The bottom edge of the book is called the tail.
The front edge (where it is open leaves) is the fore edge.
The back edge of the book is called the spine.
Folded sets of leaves are called gathers or sections.
Single folded sheets are called bi-folds.

Sheets of paper that are added to the end of the book for decoration and attachment are called ‘end papers’.

Stage One

1 Take all sheets of paper and fold in half. To make A5 size sheets.

2 Take a polished bit of wood and flatten the creases of the fold as you go. Back of a stainless steel spoon will do.

3 Insert two folds into a third so you have a six leaf gather. Congratulations you have your first section (a good single malt is now called for).

4 Stack the sections evenly, spines in the same direction.

5 Place your post of sections o the middle of your A4 wooden board, place second board on top. Place heavy weight on top of this.

6 Pressing is a key operation; it squeezes out the air from the sections and also allows the paper to mould around the spine edge of the section. If you do not do this your book will become very sloppy when sewn and the sections will move eventually tearing themselves free. The longer you press the ‘tighter’ the volume will become.

Leave to press for at least four days. In a traditional bindery the sections would go in a press between boards for about a month under extreme pressure.

7 Second day of pressing take out two sections and add end papers.

Take your coloured sheets of A3 paper and fold in half, these will be your endpapers. Remove exterior bi-fold from both sections and lay flat.

8 Cut endpaper after folding so that it is 5mm wider than the A5 folded section. Fold 5mm in from the fold to make a ‘hook’. What you are making is a classic hook guarded endpaper.

9 For the front end paper ‘tip’ (stick) the 5mm hook spine of the coloured paper 5mm to the right of the fold using a 5mm wide glue line. For the rear endpaper ‘tip’ (stick) the spine fold of the coloured paper 5mm to the left of the fold using a 5mm wide glue line.

When you look at the end sections you will now have in the front section 1 white leaf, 2 coloured leaves, 4 white leaves, 1 x 5mm coloured bi-fold stub, 1 white leaf, then the next section. The same will apply to the rear of the volume.

Put it all back, re-stack and place board and weights back. Do not touch for another two days.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Section laid on Coloured bifold. folds to left side, the overlap is the 5mm hook which will be folded over and stuck down.

Sauasages cant upload images. later chaps

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
What it should all look like when put together. From the front, 1 white (called tear out or waste sheet), 2 coloured, 4 white, 1 bifold stub fold inside glued to last white, last white.

B6 sections and endpapers all together.jpg

Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Pressing and folding is the foundation of your binding, like carbon is to steel and tempering is to forging. Do not stint, do it right and give yourself time, if you dont your book will get very sloppy very quickly. goodjob

Sandsnakes

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have my paper, I went for 100gsm rymans vellum paper, since I liked the colour :). I have tested it and it writes well with no 'bleed', 'ghosting' or 'feathering' from my pen too which is an obvious benefit!

3 Insert two folds into a third so you have a six leaf gather. Congratulations you have your first section (a good single malt is now called for).

I'm presuming, like (a)? :eek:

GatherConfusion.png

7 Second day of pressing take out two sections and add end papers.

Take your coloured sheets of A3 paper and fold in half, these will be your endpapers. Remove exterior bi-fold from both sections and lay flat.

Like this?

EndpaperConfusion1.png

8 Cut endpaper after folding so that it is 5mm wider than the A5 folded section. Fold 5mm in from the fold to make a ‘hook’. What you are making is a classic hook guarded endpaper.

9 For the front end paper ‘tip’ (stick) the 5mm hook spine of the coloured paper 5mm to the right of the fold using a 5mm wide glue line. For the rear endpaper ‘tip’ (stick) the spine fold of the coloured paper 5mm to the left of the fold using a 5mm wide glue line.

EndpaperConfusion2.png

Like this, same, but visa versa for the rear endpaper?

Either way, I'm all ready and I am folding my sheets to go under my wood planks for the 2 + 2 days pressing!

Cheers,
Matt

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Yes for trim out and remove hatched area.

Version A of fold and insertion of bifolds.

Endpapers/end section.

Always look at the un-made book from the front in, as though you are going to read it and its laying down flat waiting for you to pick it up.

What you are illustrating is the rear section. Hook is on the wrong side for the front section. As you look at your illustration you should have one white leaf, two coloured leaves, two white bifolds, one coloured bifold stub, one white leaf. That is the front section. If you look at the photo you can see the stub is inside the section not under the outer leaf (tear out/waste sheet).

Last edited:

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Superb - I'm in (as if I need another project right now). I even have a ream of Conqueror hidden from the kids somewhere.

1. singteck
2. JohnC
3. Stew (at some point :D )
4. emdiesse
5. Palmnut (after finishing a knife and sheath)

Peter

EDIT: Damnit! Only 45 minutes later and the Conqueror has been found, bifolds have been folded, sections have been assembled. Now off to find the boards and the heavy weights (got a roll of lead somewhere - that's the plan).

EDIT: And within 90 minutes the sections are between two bits of carefully sanded plywood with a huge lump of lead on top. Could an improvised press be made by putting a bolt and nut at each corner of the board like some kid's flower presses I've seen? Or would this impart too much bowing in the wood and hence spoil the effect?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE