At last, it's finished: a boxwood kuksa...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The story behind this is simple. I was given a number of large pieces of boxwood by a friend who salvaged them from a pile that was about to be burned. Full of gratitude for this gift, I said that I would make him a kuksa out of one of the pieces. Little did I realise...

The project was considerably longer than I thought it would be. Dave Budd commented that carving box was like carving fossilised butter. He was not wrong. Stupidly determined to do the whole thing by hand, I shunned power tools. So, with axe, knife, saw rasp, crook knife, spoon knife and curved cabinet scraper - along with lots of different grits of sand paper - followed by a few coats of tung oil, the job is now done.

Any comments, constructive and critical, are more than welcome as they all help to improve my efforts on future projects. As for boxwood, I think I might put this down to experience and opt for a more forgiving wood in the future!

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is lovely; the grain and the shape is a thing to behold.

Anyone would be honoured to be given that.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Wow, that is simply gorgeous! Give the pieces of boxwood back to your friend and keep the kuksa:joke:
Seriously, that is one lucky friend:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's the most elegant and individual piece - it's the best kuksa I've ever seen - beautiful!.................atb mac

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep me too - the finest kuksa I have yet seen. Beautiful symmetry, clean line, fine edges, sweeping curves.

Its flat out gorgeous

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Having tried it myself I am full of respect, some bits I have tested have a density similar to IPE and other tropical hard woods. You have made something special there, the handle is a touch of elegance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE