Skip find of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
2e2uheby.jpg

The motor turns but lacks the power to move the needle + there's an electrical smell that I'm guessing the motors shot.
Be nice if I can get her going😀
There's even the original book and needles
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Been wanting a machine for little jobs and I like older gear..
I know somewhere that rewinds motors but depends on cost really. Shame to skip it....

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
GHood find, as to the smell it might be the rubber belt that is smelling as I had that with one that I got hold of a while back.
If not see if it is the peddle that is smelling, if it is there is a capacitor that can be changed for a cheep fix.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a 201 k, the Rolls Royce of sewing machines - that will sew anything you can fit under the foot - they're a fabulous machine................you can take the motor apart and re-furbish it resonably easily and very cheaply, and the machine itself will just need oiling and a thorough clean. I suggest you search out "oldsingersewinmachineblog" and read it, it,s a mine of information. The chap who wrote it all is no longer active but the archive is a really valuable resource and they're stunningly simple to work on. I know how to do most things with them and I'm not all that far from you you'd be welcome to any help or advice I can give you...........I might even have a few spares and accessories for it somewhere! Feel free to get in touch if you decide to do it yourself.................hope this helps, atb mac

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for all the suggestions and links.
nu5aby6e.jpg

It seemed that the problem was with the balance wheel and the tightening which I had no experience of till now!
8umeda8a.jpg

Anyway it's now oiled and works a treat!
So far I've learnt how to wind a bobbin and thread the bobbin....
It's a learning curve but I'll get there
D

Biker

I remember my Mum had one of those. I don't know whatever happened to it, I know she doesn't have it anymore. I got myself a machine last year and had some lessons on it from my Mother and loved it!

That one you found is just gorgeous! Well done! Have fun on that learning curve, that's half the fun of taking on a new hobby.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have used a modern machine a couple of times.... I made a few leather pouches like this
puba2e8u.jpg

It's sat by the fire with my fire striker in that I sometimes light the fire with.
I want to mod the Swedish smock I've got so thought I may have a play with it first before I tackle that.
The gf loves messing with fabric but always hand stitches so gonna set it up and hopefully teach her 😀
D

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I've bought 2 of those for 150 SEK here in Sweden. They are so crazy under valued items. I would buy 10000 of em if I only had the space...
If it has not been used for long I drop some lamp oil on all oiling places and run it a little then I oil with proper sewing machine oil.

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Nice find skips are wonderful things :) I was trained by the best my Dad and Grandad in skip diving had some very nice things in the past but most things don't hit the skip if I'm working there :)

Matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks minted, and the box and book are in such good condition that I'd bet the machine has been barely used.
I take it back; that's not a good find, that's a brilliant find :D :D

Enjoy.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE