headtorch recomendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My energizer 5 mode headtorch is about due for replacing!

I would like a fairly powerfull cree,single mode is fine,preferably AA battery.

Ive seen some on ebay in hong kong but im cautious.......Any recomendations???

thanks in advance:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Zebralight H51

End of.

:)

Funnily enough I have one of those too. Absolutely cracking piece of kit. The only thing I have against it is that I don't find the head band arrangement that it comes with very comfortable, so to wear it for any length of time I need to be wearing a wooly hat as well.

The life I get from a single AA is amazing. I've taken to using the old ones from my camera, as even when they won't work the camera any more they'l still run the torch for literally weeks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Funnily enough I have one of those too. Absolutely cracking piece of kit. The only thing I have against it is that I don't find the head band arrangement that it comes with very comfortable, so to wear it for any length of time I need to be wearing a wooly hat as well.

The life I get from a single AA is amazing. I've taken to using the old ones from my camera, as even when they won't work the camera any more they'l still run the torch for literally weeks.

I've not tried that yet, I use Energiser Lithiums and tend to replace after a couple of trips. I've noticed with mine that it'll dim very slightly when the battery is going and then eventually just shut off completely, it kind of caught me by surprise the first time. Battery life is very good though.

I know what you're saying about the headband but I find it as comfy as any other I've tried. I tend to get a mild headache guaranteed if I'm wearing a headtorch for more than a few hours, I put it down to a combination of too much wood smoke, drinking swedish pear cider and a headtorch though :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Alpkit gamma all the way. Anything goes wrong they'll help you out. Cheap and comfy. Shame their out if stock again! :(

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK

I end up making it progressively looser and looser until its slipping down my head! Duh! I'm going to have to try out a recomendation I read on CandlePowerForums about re-threading the headband in the silicone holder to impove comfort. Something like this.

yep im with Rich and Ged but id opt for the h51w for the more neutral tone.

Another vote for the H51w (or the H51c, which has a neutral tint and better colour rendering at the expense of brightness).

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I don't have any experience of the H51 but I can't say enough about the H31 which is very similar but uses more expensive and slightly harder to find CR123 batteries so is lighter with better performance and battery life. I have 4 in all plus an older H30 and even paid for one with my own money! I also have an Alpkit Gamma which is great value but not in the same league.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll go against the grain ans say a Petzl Myo XP. Amazing light, AAs, comfortable, brilliant life. Mine was borrowed by a buddy - he did the 100km death march, twice, on a single set of batteries.

I use mine around the small holding all the time - the ability to diffuse or focus the light and the comfort sells it to me. I walk miles wearing it. Things a good light needs

AA (much more amp hours than AAA)
Ability to have diffuse area light or focussed task light
Ability to change angle so light is where you need it
Broad strap for comfort.

Last edited:
+1 for the Myo XP
Bought it as a replacement for my Petzl Duo with the led conversion which died a death.

Got lots of use on night searches during my time with the search and rescue. now lives in the top of my pack.

Also have several Tactinnas too(you can never have enough torches)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Fenix HL21- did a LOT of research before buying this, super light, ipx8 waterproof, good run time, max of 90lumens but runs on only 1AA battery. Has so far been excellent on difficult terrain at night and from what I have used it for so far I would recommend it for the light weight alone!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE