Potential trip to cairngorms (advice on midges please).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi there,

I have been lucky enough to get the offer from a work collegue of a trip to the cairngorms.. He's a bushcraft virgin, so will probably be using a tent! I am worried about the whole Midge issue though! Could anyone advise the best ways of avoiding them? i.e. time of year/season.. What type of terrain to avoid.. Best detterent (being english?:p) ..
I also would be keen to find out which are the best spots to stop off at (not neccesarily camp though)...
Any advice is appreciated..
Cheers guy's!:eek:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
You can expect midges from about the end of May to about mid Sept. Tbh there not to bad in the high Cairngorms much worse in the west. They like calm overcast muggy days and standing water so avoid these, a breezy day keeps they tied to the ground. Most folk like Avon Skin so Soft but I think it is horrible stuff I much prefer Smidge that Midge but its personal preference. Sometimes long sleeves and a head net are the better option, long trousers too to minimise the risk of getting a far more serious tick bite. Where to go? Rothimurchus forest is always a good start, just watch those fires a stove is safer.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
From what I've seen here on the forum they're quite delicious. but it'd be better to take another food source as you cain't be certain to harvest enough for a decent meal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
There are midge catcher things now; huge great zappers that fry the beasties by the millions.
There's a tourist shop in Dunoon has filled dozens of those wee tiny glass bottles with them, and is selling them to the tourists :rolleyes: Finally found a use for the midgies apart from keeping folks away :)

M

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Hi there,

I have been lucky enough to get the offer from a work collegue of a trip to the cairngorms.. He's a bushcraft virgin, so will probably be using a tent! I am worried about the whole Midge issue though! Could anyone advise the best ways of avoiding them? i.e. time of year/season.. What type of terrain to avoid.. Best detterent (being english?:p) ..
I also would be keen to find out which are the best spots to stop off at (not neccesarily camp though)...
Any advice is appreciated..
Cheers guy's!:eek:

1 megaton ground bust nuke will give you a couple hours peace :rolleyes:;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Invest in a decent midge net, either a headnet or my preference would be a Beatons midge jacket. A pair of thin liner gloves is useful too as they like the backs of hands. Make sure you don't have any gaps between the top of your trousers and your top/ shirt. Basically if they're out in force then they'll exploit any exposed flesh.

Avon didn't work for me, I'd recommend Wilmas Nordic Summer. I've heard Autan is working better these days so not sure if they've changed their formula, not tried it myself yet, still got 20 years supply of Nordic Summer to get through :)

Keeping active and moving about a lot helps, sit for too long when the conditions are right and you'll be infested. If your planning for some kind of group shelter/tarp then think about adding a good sized net if you can, a smokey fire helps to some extent but not always.

Failing that there's always one of these to consider :)

Think about permethrin too for tick prevention, if you're heading to the Cainrgorms you'll likely end up in deer country.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Go when its windy. :) We had them in the snow in december last year.

Best time to go is sept or april-end of june. You'll get them still but it won't be bad. Mid june is my usual time to head up there.

For repellents, Wilma's Nordic summer works there on me, the best by far though is Autan with Picaridin as the active ingredient. Its not greasy like Deet.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A nice breeze as said above works wonders. The little bleeders hate the wind so avoid sheltered damp areas, they might look good for camping but the midge also favours these areas. If you get that one week a year when its warm go for long light layers and covered every bit of flesh and tuck in that shirt.
Head net or jacket is a must in the warmer months. Best way to not get bit is avoid them be it weather, season or location.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I really like the area around Derry Lodge - loads of nice hills to climb and some good camping spots. I camped up Glen Lui at the end of May and there were a few midges at sunset, nothing too bad. I then went back at the end of June and on a lovely evening at Derry Lodge I could cut the air the midges we so thick. Summer and still evening under trees = midge heaven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE